Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Christmas time a comin

I just wondered if any one out there had the tab to this old favorite tune and song. I dearly love the music and the words . tabledit would be good but can get by with written tabs also . a good link would work

I like the Rhonda Vincent version. It’s very happy.
Here’s a chord chart:
cowboylyrics.com/tabs/vincen … 13387.html
Here’s a recording:
youtube.com/watch?v=MYLj1ML2Kyg

youtube.com/watch?v=lS90xx3RMd4

not a link to the song but a very well done song that I dearly love and these three do it better than any one .

Hey Mike, I hadn’t heard Rhonda Vincent’s cover of that tune and I sure like it. Thanks for posting that one. I must say I got a little distracted by the pic while listening to it. I’ve met her several times at festivals and she’s a very classy lady.

Welder, I love that song and also thought they did a great cover of it. I’ve got the DVD of that concert and highly recommend it to any Doc, Earl, or Ricky fans.

I could listen that all day it i8s just a heart warming song . and I also like to play along with them .

I love both those tunes! I don’t have us doing the Christmas times a comin tune recorded as we do it only during the holidays. I know it is not nearly at the level of Scruggs, Watson and Scaggs, but here is a humble version of Who will sing for me recorded a few years ago:
[video]http://youtu.be/gCLy1JKzzg8[/video]
By the way, for those interested, the guitar is a Recording King RD316. And although it is plugged in, the volume is turned all the way off during this tune so you are hearing it directly (the guitar is quite loud acoustically).

Nice! Love the harmonies.
That RK sounds very loud… usually to my ear a fiddle dominates the sound of an acoustic guitar. Here they are nicely balanced.
On the UBass: I still can’t get used to the low frequencies coming out of such a small instrument. It’s just weird to see it and hear it at the same time.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

…On the UBass: I still can’t get used to the low frequencies coming out of such a small instrument. It’s just weird to see it and hear it at the same time.

— End quote

I know. The polyurethane strings vibrate at about half the speed of steel strings of the same length. Polyurethane strings do not have the mass or energy of steel, but with the right pickup, that does not matter. The full story on purchasing that bass is complicated (very much a Goldilocks story), the order is this:

[ul]My wife began playing a short scale (30") electric bass, but did not like the look or tone
So I purchased a short scale acoustic electric bass and she did not like the weight, size of the body or the tone
So I had her play my fretless Steinberger bass, but she found it frustrating finding the notes (in tune)
So I purchased a Ashbory bass (also fretless), she liked the tone okay, but found the fretless part to be troubling and the reach between the notes seemed large to her
She decided that she wanted to try an upright, so I built her a upright suitcase bass, but she found it to be too hard on her hands
So I bought her the Kala bass and she found that to be just right.[/ul]
That is the short version of that story, it really was much more complicated. :blush:

That’s a pretty long road to arrive at the UBass. It’s an interesting one as well. How did the suitcase bass come out? That sounds like a fun project. Also, I have a bit of age old jealousy about the Steinberger… When I started playing bass in a band in my teens, I really wanted a stereo Steinberger, but I never had enough money to get one. There was one used for sale that if I had sold my PBass and my bass rig I would have been in the right ballpark, but then I wouldn’t have had anything to play through. It probably worked out for the best, as I still have the PBass that was my graduation gift from my parents. I guess in retrospect, I wouldn’t change a thing.

To be precise, I own the Hohner (Steinberger licensed) copy that looks like this:
http://www.bass-guitar-museum.com/uploads/bass/24/270335469689-1.jpg
It has active EMG pickups and the bass is made of wood. It listed (at the time) for $825 and I got it new (from the US distributor) for $125 cause it had some problems (warped neck “easily fixed with the turn of the truss rod” and electronics weren’t working “simple solder repair”). I modified the non-headstock to accept any strings I like (not just the Steinberger double ball strings) and have it currently strung with nylon flat wound strings (great feel and sound). It sounds very much like Jaco’s bass (full bass with a modern sounding midrange). The fingerboard has black fret lines on the black board so that you can see where to fret the notes when you are about a foot away, but from any further it looks like there is no way to see where to play the notes (a cool concept). In addition, I modified it to mount easily on a stand so that it could be played like an upright. I just realized that I tend to modify all my equipment to fit specific needs. :wink:

The suitcase bass came out quite nicely. It has a laminated top and back with thicker solid wood sides. The neck is made to be able to be removed quickly by loosening the strings, removing the large bolt knob on the back of the heel (you can see it in the picture). I even spent some serious bucks having the neck profile shaved (by one of the three guys on the east coast who does such work) so that the action is quite low for plucking and easy to play. The tone is nice, however it does not have as much volume as a large Kay bass. If I were to do it again (and why would I ???), I would build a larger body so that the volume would be greater. :smiley:

I love that suitcase bass! Very nice.