Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Chime the notes

I discovered something it is immense to me . if you use less than a 1.0 pick the chimes will not be clear and pronounced . I could not believe the difference from a .73 and a 1.0 wow . try it and see , hope this helps someone .

Thanks. It’s amazing how much difference a seemingly small thing can make.

About two years ago I worked my way up to a 1.14 pick and since have never looked back. I always used thin mostly around .73 and even lighter thinking it played easier but I was wrong. The heavy picks are the best all around in my opinion. They do take a while to get used to though. Jerry

— Begin quote from ____

They do take a while to get used to though.

— End quote

Yes, they do. I’ve got a few weird looks from folks asking to borrow picks at jams when I hand them one of my nice thick mando picks. I finally started carrying some cheap medium picks for loaners.

— Begin quote from "Jerry M"

About two years ago I worked my way up to a 1.14 pick and since have never looked back. I always used thin mostly around .73 and even lighter thinking it played easier but I was wrong. The heavy picks are the best all around in my opinion. They do take a while to get used to though. Jerry

— End quote

I find that the .88 are not to bad but the 1.0 is good for me. It is what kind of sound you want, it would not be well to strum with a 1.0 for me so I use .88 It pays to try em all . I have some 2.0"s and they dampen more than bring the tone out . Of course they are made of buffalo horn and the material is to blame for that . Wood is even worse . My Nephews cousin plays with a quarter and he can burn it up , it is amazing what you can use.