Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Check this Song out

@jonny1 I don’t know if this will help , but I found this online:

Amazing! That really pulls back the curtain.

Darcy studies and promotes bluegrass/oldtyme/Americana and hosts a one hour radio show every Saturday 2-3pm EST on CKUA radio.

Also teaches a bluegrass song every Wednesday at his local community hall with a jam after.

I didn’t know he did this video. He is a Canadian bluegrass treasure.

Thank you for this.

1 Like

That’s really cool! I’ll need to tune in to his radio station and check out his other stuff too. I’ve never heard of him before , but I’m glad I found his video.

Do you attend his jam sessions? And also , do you sing in a quartet/band ? You made me want to learn how to sing this too! Even thought I’ve never taken any singing lessons hahah !

I’ve begged him to do his ‘bluegrass 101’ on Facebook Live because I’m too far away to attend.
I listen online to his radio show. As for singing, I am a rank beginner, not sure how to start.

That’s wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.
I’m checking out his other videos now . He’s definitely got a lot on harmony singing lessons and he’s picked out some great songs too!
Hopefully you’re able to get the Model Church down though . That’d be pretty awesome!

This made me think of our convo

1 Like

Baritone is the most difficult to learn for most people. JD is one of the best to learn it from I think.

It can sound really weird at times because it is the note that makes the chord out of the other two so it doesn’t usually follow the melody as closely as the other two parts.

There are some other things that happen when singing baritone that make it a more difficult part to sing, but they don’t happen in The Model Church, which is a great song to learn all three parts on IMO.

I think you would get a lot more good out of listening to the New South recording than form listening to the guy on the video…just my 2 cents…

3 Likes

Good morning everyone!
Woke up to this new video upload today:

Definitely one of my favorite gospel hymns.

4 Likes

Check this performance out :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s the longest FMBD ending I’ve ever heard. :laughing:

2 Likes

That was a very, very long ending :slight_smile: I forgot how much his facial expressions cracked me up. I watched him a bunch as a kid. I was probably inspired by him and it got me in trouble for making goofy faces at violin lessons. What I didn’t pick up on as a kid is what a musical technician he was… he must have practiced well and often.

4 Likes

Roy Clark was an talented entertainer to the bone wasn’t he? What always amazes me about his banjo picking, is what I would consider a bad case of flyaway fingers. It’s surprising to me how high his finger-action is, but remarkably enough, he seems to still do quite well at it.

I have an annoying fly away middle finger. Been trying to correct it, but what ever I try it doesn’t play ball. Doesn’t bother me in a playing sence, but feel it is wasted energy and possibly accuracy. I tried a different hand angle which improved it slightly but messed up other rolls, :grimacing: So maybe I’m stuck with it. :grin:

Not sure how I missed this original post. I am so digging this tune Model Church).

Roy gets a look on his face at one point where it seems he thinks it’s the longest FMBD ending as well.

1 Like

Since we’re on the subject of Roy Clark… Here’s one of my favorites of anyone ever playing a guitar piece:

British guitarist reacts to the day that Roy Clark WON at playing the guitar!

Just amazing! His right hand is like a hummingbird. Also listen to what the British guitarist is saying about Roy… The whole thing is quite interesting.

2 Likes

I remember watching that episode of The Odd Couple when it first aired in 1974 or 1975ish and being amazed. Gosh I’m old.

You’re not old Mags… You probably watched a re-run thirty years later and just thought you watched it back in "74 or '75… At least that’s how I’m thinking it for myself anyway… Yep, I’m sticking with that!

3 Likes

I just found this and had to share it :

2 Likes

That would have been a good one to put on their Christmas album.

1 Like