Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Blue Chip Free Priority Shipping

For Fathers Day, Blue Chip is offering free shipping this week. Unfortunately for me I placed an order Sat night and didn’t get the discount. Oh well…

Thanks for the head’s up.
What style did you get? I have always been a teardrop pick person, but I am thinking I might get one with a rounded corner option.

You just HAD to post this didn’t ya? :laughing:

Now I want a bluechip pick!

So if I was to say have my kids buy me one for say a “father’s day” gift :wink: which one would you all recommend taking into the account the following.

I am currently using a Wegen Bluegrass 1.2 thickness I believe is what they are. Love the sound of this pick but the shape is just a bit off to me. I was using a Dunlop ultex 1.00 tear drop prior to the wegen and liked that shape a lot better. Personally if I could take everything about the wegen and make it a Tear Drop that would be perfect to me. That being said I checked the blue chip site and it looks like I am looking for one of these 3, TD40, TD50 or TD60. I am thinking the TD50 would probably be the closest in thickness to my current wegen, that sound about right?

Hey Brad,

If I remember correctly from the site, the 50’s are 1.25 and the 40’s are 1.00 in thickness. They have a pretty good website where you can see the measurements of their picks and match it up to your favorite size. I have heard from some that the BC’s feel thicker than other picks. A BC 1.25 may feel like a 1.5 in another type pick. My BC TD50 is thick and I can hardly bend it. Recently bought a TP40 for somebody (and I’m test driving it) and the 40’s are pretty stiff too.

Hey Brad,
One thing I was gonna suggest is if you don’t like the shape of the Wegen as well as the Ultex, get out some sandpaper and tweak to your liking. The Ultex is just a bit pointier. I would suggest making a bit of change then reshape and polish out the bevel and try it out. Repeat as necessary until it suits you. For pick shaping and polishing, I left a review of a nail file that does a great job here: https://banjoebenclark.com/forum/t/pick-polishing-tool/159/1

I’ve got the 1.2 and 1.4 Wegens. The 40 series BC are roughly 1mm and the 50 are roughly 1.25. However, comparing thickness between the BC and Wegens may be apples and oranges as I don’t know if the BC are the same stiffness as the Wegens for a given thickness. For example, you mentioned the Ultex… it seems the 1.14 Ultex are a bit stiffer than the 1.4 Wegens. Both work fine for me. The stiffness (thickness) question would be a good one for someone who has both on hand.

PS: As I was submitting I saw Shawn’s note. Thanks Shawn that’s good info.

Yeah, I wish I could speak more about the stiffness feel between the BC’s and other picks, Mike, but all my others are so old, the markings have worn off. BC is the first high end pick I’ve ever owned. I actually went in to my local store to ask if they had any Wegen or Red Bears I could try and just happened to ask about BC first, out came the tackle box full of every pick BC makes. :open_mouth:

thanks for the info guys!

I think after noodling on it a bit longer I am going to hold off on a blue chip until I can get in a situation like Shawn where I can find a shop that has a bunch of different models to try out. Going to Elderly and buying a couple lots of cheap picks to tinker around with is one thing but buying a couple bluechips to tinker with? I think I’ll pass.

I may try Mike’s suggestion on one of my wegens and see about making it a bit more tear droppy :wink: Dunno though, I just tinkered around a bit more and put my ultex back in my hand and that extra bit of point wasn’t as earth shattering as I thought it would be. I am thinking I just need more time with my wegen. Maybe do less typin’ and more pickin’ :laughing:

Thanks for the nudge. I ordered mine today. I got one of them that has one rounded corner and 2 pointy ones. I think it is a TP50-1R. I got the 50 thickness. I think I might be migrating to rounder corners, but this will give me a chance to try theirs out. Alan at blueChip said they would be happy for me to trade for a different one within 30 days if the rounded corners are a good fit for me (that would be something like a TPR50). It seems like a no-brainer, no risk kind of deal.

For what it’s worth, their shopping website is down this morning, but they are taking call in orders.

Ive been using the Wegen 1.4 for awhile now …i do love it overall but think i may try getting one of them shaped into more of a teardrop shape just to see if it feels a bit better …thanks as always for the great tips all …

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

Thanks for the nudge. I ordered mine today. I got one of them that has one rounded corner and 2 pointy ones. I think it is a TP50-1R. I got the 50 thickness. I think I might be migrating to rounder corners, but this will give me a chance to try theirs out. Alan at blueChip said they would be happy for me to trade for a different one within 30 days if the rounded corners are a good fit for me (that would be something like a TPR50). It seems like a no-brainer, no risk kind of deal.

For what it’s worth, their shopping website is down this morning, but they are taking call in orders.

— End quote

Mike you are killin’ me partner! I have sitting her at work all morning with the little devil on one shoulder and the little angel on the other bickering back and forth as to wether I should just pull the trigger on one!

I am currently sitting her with an Elderly cart open with both the Ultex 1.14 Teardrop and the Ultex 1.14 Triangle in it cause I wanted to see if the 1.14 would sound better than my current Ultex 1.00 Teardrop and I also wanted to see what the Triangle was all about. That is what the Angel told me to do, BUT the Devil is telling me to order a Bluechip TD50 when the site comes back up, AND NOW THE DEVIL SAW YOUR POST AND HE WANTS ME TO ORDER A BLUECHIP TRIANGLE 50 TOO! :laughing:

Hey Brad,
I hate for you to place an order just to try a different thickness. I have an extra teardrop Ultex 1.14 I can mail you if you want to try one. Just PM me your address if you do.

I can just see it now… I’ll check in this afternoon and have PMs from 50 people :slight_smile:

thanks for the offer Mike! I sent you a PM

Update… my credit card bounced because Visa issued a new card due to a security breach. Long and short of it, when I gave them a good credit card number, I went ahead and switched to the all rounded corner version. I might be wrong, but I have a hunch that will work well for me.

I ended up ordering a CT55 and a TD40; one for mando and one for guitar. Recently I have become a fan of the Ultex and have been favoring that over most of my other picks. Found a couple of John Pearse Fast Turtles. Love the feel of them but the XHeavy made too much of a clicking sound for my liking.

Here’s hoping the BCs are the ticket. Let’s hope so for the price. :laughing:

Let us know what you think when you get it, I’ll bet you’ll love it!
Jim

Got them today. I like them. I’m not sure I $35 a piece like them, but they feel great and are silky smooth. If I was better/faster I probably would appreciate them a lot more. I give them a while and post what I think in a month or two. Still want to try the Wegen’s

I was expecting them to blow me away when I first tried 'em. I thought they had good grip and sounded better than what I was using, so I bought one. I played it exclusively for 3 weeks then went back and compared the BC pick to the picks I had been using, and that’s when they blew me away how much better they are than anything else I’ve used.

I’m interested to hear what you think after you play them a while.

With a whopping five or so minutes of playing time, here’s my initial review of the TPR 50. Nicely packaged. The color is an all-about-business brown. The grip is unreal. It doesn’t move. The stiffness to thickness ratio is greater than my Wegen and similar to the Ultex. The sound volume is less than my Wegen 1.4 BG. This could in part be due to a slightly more rounded corner. The tone is slightly darker than the Wegen and Ultex. Pick noise is low, and maybe a wee bit more than the Wegen (not enough to bug me). Due to the nature of the shape being a bit different, it doesn’t feel quite natural sometimes (and I expect that to continue for a day or two). On playing things at a moderate speed, it doesn’t seem like a huge improvement over my other picks. However, when I did some simple fiddle tunes at higher speeds it does seem a little special. I might be reading too much into it, but it seemed smoother and the attack more even at times. I was still muffing more notes than normal as I have yet to adjust to the different shape and size. However, with all the plusses and minuses, the biggest single thing is the feel. It gets through the strings better than any pick I recall. I suspect it will be a good choice for me.
Like CPilot, I will report back when I spend more time with it.

Next 10 minute update… once I turned on the metronome, I found that I was playing the various songs about 10 to 20 bpm faster than I thought. I guess it seemed easier? There isn’t any guesswork on what are “normal” speeds for me as I have been keeping a daily log of practice speeds for various songs for about a month. In short, I’m happy with my purchase already.

— Begin quote from "citadelpilot"

Got them today. I like them. I’m not sure I $35 a piece like them, but they feel great and are silky smooth. If I was better/faster I probably would appreciate them a lot more. I give them a while and post what I think in a month or two. Still want to try the Wegen’s

— End quote

Send me a pm partner and I will send ya a spare one of my wegens so you can try em out. No sense in paying $15 for 4 of them when all you need is one :wink: