Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Big Spike Hammer

Have any of you guys tabbed out TR’s Big Spike Hammer break? I’d like to work on it but I’m too lazy to tab it out on my own. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Did it the hard way. Couldn’t see Tony’s hands, so I’m just guessing it’s all played in the open position. Use at your own peril.

[attachment=0]Big Spike Hammer Guitar Break.tef[/attachment]

(guitar break starts at 1:51)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5LkHfURNtA[/video]

You are getting pretty quick at transcribing. That’s a nice sounding solo too.

Only took about an hour to tab it, but it’ll take a week to get it under my fingers on the guitar. Wish it was the other way around.

Oh yeah baby!

The guys I jam with told me that they’d love to hear me work out a break like Tony on this…you’ve made my life a lot easier Larry! This is appreciated more than you know and at exactly the right time!

YOU DA MAN!

Good deal, oldhat. Glad you could use it. I’m learning it for much the same reason as you. The guy who’s been giving me lessons played a nice Tony style break over the song last week and then asked me to try to do the same. Of course I flubbed it, so he challenged me to work up a good break by this week’s lesson (tomorrow). Not being clever enough to figure it out on my own, I went to the source and tabbed out TR’s break.

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

Not being clever enough to figure it out on my own, I went to the source and tabbed out TR’s break.

— End quote

There’s nothing wrong with that. I think that’s how a few generations have learned to play Tony style.

Thanks for sharing your work on these with us Larry. These are great!

Glad I’m not the only one to make use of 'em. Shawn. I’ll keep posting the few breaks I get around to tabbing.