Im really enjoying the jamtrainer app. I have a question regarding tabs since I just received an email about adding tabs to the songs. I know there can be so many variations to tabs but will you be adding the tab or will it be added by the user? Thanks again for this great resource
Beta testers needed / Play with my app! It's fun!
Hi Mark, quick question……
Is there a way in the settings to set the song list so it doesn’t go back to the beginning when you click out of it? For example, if I’m scrolling through the song list alphabetically, and I get to song that start with the letter “F”, if I click on the song, then click back to the list, it will start over at songs that start with “A”, rather than still be in the “F” section. Not sure if this makes sense. If you’re scrolling through songs and click one, when you go back you have to start from the beginning again.
If there’s a way to change it in the settings, that would be cool, otherwise no big deal. Maybe I’m just lazy. Sorry if this question diverts you from that new Dobro.
Tabs are tricky. There are copyright issues to be concerned with, even with songs in the public domain. For example, Ben could claim copyright on arrangements he came up with for Cripple Creek, even though it’s been in the public domain forever.
That said, Ben just gave me permission to put his tabs in a few more songs (the ones in the free list) so I’ll be working on that in the coming days.
I don’t think there’s an automatic “save my place in the list” thing right now. I will definitely work on that.
However, a few days ago I added the alphabet to the right side of the song library screen. So until I get your request figured out, that’d be a half way decent work around. Tap the F and it should take you to those songs.
Ok thanks,no need to work on it unless you think it would benefit others. I thought maybe there was a way in the settings that I just didn’t know about. Thanks again!
Hi Mark…Im technically challenged. Im trying to add a tab on my own version of a song. I can get the first measure just fine but Im having trouble adding another measure. The arrow doesnt seem to move on to the 2nd measure
Are you trying to add the tab directly in the JT app?
Yes
Gotcha. I’m going to be 100% honest… I didn’t put a lot of thought into the tab part of building from scratch… mainly because TablEdit is already so good at it. I could probably put some more effort into it.
That said, I think what you want is the button at the bottom right that says “+ Add at end”
That adds a new measure that you can then continue placing your fret markers on.
You’re the first person using this feature, so any insights you have to improve it, I’m all ears.
I was working on it earlier and did 1 measure that had 2 triplets in it. I put it on “banjo” and it sounded really good. Like your email stated …looking at tab and hearing it is very difficult. I try not to use tab to learn and rather by ear only using the tab if I get confused.
Im going to work on it again
Ah, yeah that’s going to be a problem. My editor can’t handle adding triplets. I agonized over it for a while and then decided it was just too much work for what I assumed was going to be very little reward.
If you import a triplet, it will read it just fine. It just proved to be way more difficult to get my little editor to be able to do anything with it.
I probably need to circle back to that at some point.
I added all 8 measures, the timing maybe slightly off but I cant tell. It sounds really good with all the instruments
`
Sweet! That’s really cool to hear. That interface was a real bear to build. The problem is trying to keep it useful on mobile devices. If I only wanted it used on desktops, I’m sure I could streamline the heck out of it.
Im using a laptop so it was more simple that I thought. Once you load up the tabs from Ben, I can see if what i did lines up with how its spaced. But I really like the site you made and it has banjo doing rolling backup which for me is a huge help since I havent attended many jams
Your request is live. Going back to the song list now keeps your place.
I also added a new sorting feature that will now allow you to sort by songs you’ve recently played. It’s already come in handy for me today, because I forgot what song I had been goofing around with earlier.
Thank you Mark! That is awesome. I appreciate all you have done to make this app a great tool for musicians.
Mark, just wanted to say thanks again. During my practice session yesterday I used the Jamtrainer App and it was very helpful to go back to the song list and have it still be where I left off. Also the alphabet feature was very useful for finding songs fast.
That’s really cool to hear! I really appreciate all of your feedback. It’s been so helpful making this app the best it can be.
I’m currently working on brand new videos. The user interface has changed so much all of the original videos I made are pretty worthless. I hope these new videos will help folks get the most out of the app.
Videos so far:
Overview
Getting Started
Tab View
Groove
Lyrics View Hey @Simone 
Building a Chord Chart
Games
Advanced Charting
Tuner, Metronome, Chords, and Scales
I’ll add the rest to this post as they’re uploaded.
As a less than expert musician, I love your app. I really love the games section. It could be a whole thing on its own. I’ll go to it for a few minutes at a time to take a break from whatever I’m doing. Ear training is where I struggle. As someone who has read music/charts for years, the skill to play by ear is not developed. As I try to learn to Jam, it becomes absolutely necessary, and I’m getting better at it. For instance, I have more trouble hearing decreasing intervals (I down to IV or V) than ascending. Would it be possible to do interval training with scale tones rather than chords? Different instruments or voicings? As a reference, could you add a scale relative to the root that allows you to walk to the note? Believe it or not, you can’t make it too basic for those of us who struggle with this. Finally, Ben’s ear training course has you try to hear bars of music and number them. Would this be worth considering?
