Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Beta testers needed / Play with my app! It's fun!

Hello,
I can no longer find your site or app. Could you please repost the link. When I click on the link at the top of the page it takes me to a page that says no longer available.
Thanks

Everything has moved over to JamTrainer.com/app

Thanks, I found it. I heard a song the other day played by Billy Strings and his father, “Mothers not dead, she’s only a sleeping”. I have not heard that song in a really long time and wanted to learn to play it. I can only find it in the Key of “F” on you tube and could not find it in JamTrainer. Has anyone heard this in any other key. It seems like just 2 cords, C and F
Thanks for any help.

Thanks Preston! It’s cool to hear that someone is actually enjoying the games. I need to ask some clarifying questions so I’m sure I understand what you’re asking.

So like a single string note and then another single string note?

This would be possible pretty easily if it were limited to single notes. I don’t have any chord samples recorded for banjo or mando, so that would require the time to record those samples. Not impossible, but right now my time is dedicated to getting the app ready for launch.

Are you still talking about in the games? If so, which game(s), and when and where would you want to see that?

That’s a good idea. It would be the most involved game in the list, though, so I’ll need to really think about how to make it happen, since it will involve more than just clicking buttons. If you have any suggestions or already have some ideas in mind, please let me know.

I just added it to the Library. The version I found on Spotify was in G and 3/4 time. Of course you can transpose it to any key you want in JT. Check it out and let me know if that does the trick.

I found it on the Library and it confirmed to me that it was a 2 cord song.
Thanks

1 Like

Interval Training - Yes. Just a single string to another single string. Looking at it more closely, you could add this option to the Degree Trainer game by allowing you to select a single string rather than a chord.
Voicings - Sounds like too much trouble to do right now.
Relative Scale - Yes. Still talking about games. An option could be toggled on that walks up (or down) the scale to the target note. Basically trying to learn from my mistakes. In the Degree trainer you ask “what is the scale degree of the 4th chord?” If I can’t consistently answer that question, then I struggle. The same is tru in the Chord tones. Trying to establish relative pitch.
Bars of Music - Just an idea, but you have a library of songs to refer to. Could you randomly load a 4-16 bar section from the library and then ask to type/click the numbers?

OK, I think I’m following. So, if the game walks the scale, do you want it to do that BEFORE you answer, or are you wanting that as part of the replay AFTER you answer? In my mind, if it walks up the scale before you answer, all you have to do is count the notes and you’ll get the right answer every time… but I feel like maybe I’m still missing something. If you could explain how each game would ideally go in your mind, it’ll help me build it the way you want.

By the way, I really like this idea. I can set it up exactly like the charting Edit View and it doubles as a teaching aid to help people learn how to add their own songs.

1 Like

I would do it after the answer to reinforce the scale degree. In the Degree Trainer, if answer incorrectly it give 3 strums of the root and then one strum of the target chord. If answered correctly it moves onto the next question. I’d like to be able to stop at that point and reinforce that interval because I’m not hearing something correctly. I need to play with it some more tonight to give you a better answer.

OK, the new CHART IT! game is online! You can pick 4, 8, 12, or 16 measures. The first measure will always be the 1 so you’re grounded in the root chord. For now, I left out most of the chord variations. They just made the game too complicated. Your chord choices are:
image

And the game play uses the actual Chart page, which I hope will get people used to the idea of charting their own songs.

Also, I took a stab at your idea for the scales for Degree Trainer and Chord Tones, but rather than wait for a wrong answer, I decided to put a little “Play Scale” button under the Play button.
image

Let me know if this gives you what you were looking for.

All feedback welcome.

1 Like

I took some notes as I was playing with this. Overall this is great. The Chart game works well. I really enjoyed it.

Jam Trainer Games

Degree Trainer

  • [ ] Adding scales helps. Easier to access before playing the chord. Would probably play either the first four or first 5 chord tones consistently so that you don’t give away the chord itself.
  • [ ] I like the single note. It allows me to hear more clearly.
  • [ ] When I added other chords it was a lot more fun and difficult. Scales sometimes play up to the note ( & sometimes not)
    Chord Trainer
  • [ ] Scale button only plays to the target note which is not as helpful here.
  • [ ] May be better to play up the scale to the note after you answer
  • [ ] Alternative is to have a practice mode where the scales are available and then a test/game mode
    Chart It
  • [ ] I really like this concept
  • [ ] On more than 1 song the number pad covered up the chord sequence. Occurs if the selected sequence is at the bottom of the page on my iPad. “In the Highways “
  • [ ] Number pad is not movable
  • [ ] If you wanted to make it harder then you would reveal the answer only after all cells have been selected
  • [ ] I’m able to cheat by looking at the key signature. In more advanced versions this could be hidden. It’s good for me right now.
    Question: How proficient should you be before adding difficulty? Similar to levels in a video game

Thanks again for all the work you’ve put into this.

1 Like

That’s an excellent list! It gave me some real clarity. Here’s what changed as a result of your list.

Degree Trainer and Chord Tones

  • Now plays a full major scale, 1 up to the 1 an octave above — the same 8 notes every time. Before, it stopped at the target, so the number of notes was the answer and you could count instead of listen.
  • Notes are cut as the next one starts, so they don’t bleed into each other.
  • Using the Play Scale button makes that round unscored — no point, but no penalty either. Feedback says “practice, not scored” so the counter not moving isn’t a mystery. (This replaced the separate practice/test-mode idea.)

Chart It

  • The number pad is draggable by its header (⠿ grip), and it remembers where you put it — fixes it covering the chart on songs like “In the Highways.”

Not done yet

  • Hiding all reveals until every cell is answered.
  • The difficulty/leveling system.
  • Hiding the key signature. You said “I’m able to cheat by looking at the key signature.” I must be missing something here. How is knowing the song’s key able to help you cheat? I’ve tried to figure this one out, but I can’t think of any way that helps me.

This is great stuff. I’ll have to play with it later when I get time.

As far as cheating knowing the key. If I know that the tune is in C (on guitar) and the bass note goes down, I know that it’s a G. If it goes up it’s an F. I don’t really have to know the degree. Obviously this wouldn’t work if you capo’d 3 and played in the A position.

The changes you’re talking about should be very interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

OK, I see what you’re saying. Personally, I’d call that an experience advantage, because a less experienced player wouldn’t necessarily know that, but I’ll have the game hide the key signature so we’re all on a level playing field. :wink:

Played around with the changes to the games that you made and I really liked what you’ve done. If I were to recommend how to work through these games to improve your ear, I’d start with the Degree Trainer using single notes rather than chords. It makes hearing the intervals easier. Once that’s mastered then can move into the same game with chords. The Chord Tones game would be the next game to try, then Name That Chord and Number Trainer. The Chart It game brings all these skills together and for me the most fun. I’ve still got a long way to go before I can do any of these well, but I think this has helped me work on a real weakness as I attempt to learn bluegrass.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! Building Chart It was a fun challenge. It took several iterations to get it to something that resembled real world charting, but where it’s at now, I think it’s my new favorite game.

It’s so gratifying to know people are finding these games useful, especially considering the first one was kind of just a goofy idea I had to make JT more than just a song app. I appreciate your feedback and ideas. I think they really improved the app!

More tabs are up courtesy of BanjoBenClark.com. Whenever you see tabs in JamTrainer, you’ll also see credit to whoever provided it.

In Ben’s case, he liked the idea of even having a link back to the actual lesson the tabs came from, so you’ll see that too.

Most instruments now have tabs in the free songs section, with the 2 exceptions being Foggy Mountain Breakdown and You Are My Sunshine, because they’re still under copyright and I ain’t trying to get in trouble with nobody.

1 Like

I’ve been using the metronome which I really like. I especially like the ability to mix notes and voices. The tempo up function is really helpful for me as I’m trying to improve my rhythm playing on guitar. I noticed a couple of things. When using in the metronome in the Songs section, you only get the monotone metronome which I find confusing. Other voices such as bluegrass distinguish between the 1/4 & 1/8 notes more distinctly. I was playing Red Haired Boy using Ben’s Tab, and it appears that the playback is in cut time compared to how the Tab is written. Is this what you intended?

Overall I really enjoy your app. I feel that it’s helping me a lot.

You may have uncovered a bug, or at least an inconstancy in 2 different versions of the metronome. The one that plays with songs was the first one. It was an easy add. Then @Mike_R requested the full metronome page based on an actual device he’s owned for decades. So the 2 metronomes are independent builds.

If I were to combine them, how would you like them to behave? Would it be to set the voices on the metronome page and then those settings play over the songs you choose?

I’ll also check out the cut time issue you reported.