Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Beginning Guitar Question

I started playing around with my wife’s guitar (it’s a smaller body Taylor GS mini). I’m just working on getting comfortable with strumming chords G/C/D/Em and transitioning between the different chords.

My question is, I feel most comfortable with the arch of the guitar on my left leg but now looking a videos I see most people put the arch on their right leg. Should I change to positioning the guitar on my right leg before muscle memory locks in too much?

3 Likes

I think you are ok. Left leg actually makes some things easier (i.e. barres). I would encourage working with a strap some to help with that transition. Universal things are make sure you have good posture, that you don’t crouch over the guitar to see the face of it (use the side markers to locate your fretting hand), relaxed shoulders.

I am sure others will think of other things

2 Likes

Thanks @Mike_R

1 Like

That small guitar feels more comfy on the left leg but a bigger guitar will want to go on the right leg. That’s my and my D-28’s experience, at least.

3 Likes

Thanks @BanjoBen, that makes sense. When I put this smaller body on my right leg it feels like the neck is “going downhill”.

3 Likes

Gotcha, yeah. I definitely don’t need yet another cause for my playing to go downhill.

7 Likes

:crazy_face:

1 Like

I have a mini. It plays very comfortably on my right leg with a strap. From Your picture, you appear to have longer arms. Considering how much shorter the mini neck is. It might work better for you that way. By the way, Taylor makes a pickup specially designed for the mini. If I remember right, it cost around 75 dollars. Super easy to install, and has a great tone.

1 Like

That for that info @Treblemaker :grinning:

Which GS mini do you guys have? I wanted an inexpensive guitar to bring camping and also wanted to have a smaller guitar around the house to encourage my kids to play it. GS mini seemed to fit the bill. A guy in my area was selling an older spruce / rosewood one for a good price, and I wound up buying that one. Sounds pretty decent for a $400 guitar, but definitely pales in comparison to my taylor 810 wmb that is my main guitar. I wonder if I should’ve held out for a mahogany one.

1 Like

I don’t have a great vocabulary to describe how guitars sound, but it just sounds a little “harsh” compared to my nicer guitar. It is super comfortable to play though compared with a big ol dreadnought.

1 Like

I have the spruce. Yes, definately not the tone of a full size, but easy to play and transport. Sounds much better with the pickup through a good amp.

The GS mini we have is has a sitka spruce top so I can’t really tell you anything about the mahogany one.

Hi Ben,

I have been a mandolin/banjo player for many years.

My neighbor just moved to San Antonio TX, and before he left he gave me his Taylor Kona wood Guitar to keep. I haven’t played a guitar since high school 45 year ago.

1. what is the best way to hold it? flat level like Tony Rice or at a 45 angle like a mandolin? I have a strap but it hurts my shoulder. Yes I plan to buy one from you. However, what do you recommend? it is NOT a dreadnaught but a smaller bodied guitar.
  2. I did get an Elliot capo with it so I am good there.
  3. Now that I am playing 3 instruments, what is the best way to juggle instrument practice? How do you do it with 3 plus instruments?

Thank you kindly

Hey Dean!

Most people wear a guitar flat. I think trying to angle it would be seriously uncomfortable. Like your banjo, you’ll probably naturally get used to using the side dots on your fretboard to figure out your location.

If you plan on being proficient, you’ll have to dedicate an equal amount of time to each instrument. Personally, I find myself always gravitating to one over all of the others. It’s usually the banjo, though I have gone through spells of guitar and mando in the past. I also have swings of bass and drums from time to time.

@DLS: I use an app called HabitNow and it works great by motivating me to dedicate blocks of time each day to practice instruments.

Mark_Rocka

Thank you so much for the input on practice with a guitar. I am not sure what my goal is for the guitar, because my mains are the banjo and the mandolin. There are so many guitar players out there, especially in the church bands, that I prefer to play the mando or banjo to add to their sound.

1 Like

samee, I am also proficient with the banjo and mandolin, and it’s perfectly okay to focus on those instruments if they are your main passion. :slight_smile: