Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo straps

I have been trying to play some standing up and it is bothering my back. Any suggestions on attaching straps that would work better. Also when I played guitar it was easier for me to see the frets but more difficult with the banjo?

Looking forward to replies to your thread.

Do you have a cradle or the other style (whatever you call them)?

I’m looking for a new strap for my new banjo and don’t know the difference.

They are somewhat stretchy (if that’s a word). They are comfortable, I think it’s probably due to the banjo being so heavy. Just wondering if there is a better way to place them.

Do you have good side markers on the banjo? If so, you shouldn’t have to see the fingerboard.

I practice mostly sitting for the same reason though with me it starts aching my neck. Have the straps attached pretty much the same way as in the picture and honestly I don’t think that it is the issue. I am blaming the weight of the instrument. If that is the case you could consider

1. your posture (the fact that you are looking to your frets is probably not helping much as this requires bending your neck and stretches the muscles by rounding your back, although I never investigated this in detail so it is more based on my own experience); pay attention how you stand (and sit!) before you are hurt and check if you feel tension somewhere then try to change posture in time, keeping a straight back might help
  2. ‘training’ - you could try to build up the time you practice standing (by minutes or by # of songs) and additionally include some ‘sitting’ sessions on days you feel your back is tired

Anyone tried to take of the resonator sometimes to reduce the weight? I have thought about it, but never tried it although I am not sure what the effect on the sound will be.

— Begin quote from "jacqy79"

…Anyone tried to take of the resonator sometimes to reduce the weight? I have thought about it, but never tried it although I am not sure what the effect on the sound will be.

— End quote

I have a Deering Goodtime that doesn’t have a resonator that I play frequently, and my main complaint with that is that it changes my right arm placement and hand position. Without the resonator to hold it away from my body, everything changes. So when I pick up my banjo with resonator there’s all kinds of funky going on that I have to get re-used to. And once I get used to the resonator and pick up the Goodtime, is just the same funky in reverse.

It’s quite the vicious cycle.

However, to answer your question about the weight: I’m sure it would reduce the weight somewhat, but I can’t be an accurate judge of that because my Washburn B-19 is known for being an extremely heavy banjo ( banjohangout.org/archive/270657 ), and the Goodtime doesn’t even have a tone ring to add weight.

Thanks everyone-I think the solution is to lose 30 pounds and start exercising!

To lose 30 lbs all you have to do is set your banjo down!

Ok make that 60 lbs! :slight_smile: