Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Leaning On The Everlasting Arms- Verse

I was just curious if anyone started learning this break yet? I got all the way to measure 8 and for the life of me couldn’t figure out how someone could slide from 2-4 on the 2nd then his the 2nd fret on the 1st string. It defies physics!

or maybe i need to do some finger exercises? :astonished:)

Try using your third finger for the slide.

Dave

fiddlewood’s right.i had to teach myself to do the same thing[short fingers suck]but eventually you get the hang of it.i’m glad ben added that song to his list .i’ve been doing it in church for a while and was pretty surprised i was using some of the same licks[learned here]that ben uses.i guess i am learning after all.thanks ben!

— Begin quote from "fiddlewood"

Try using your third finger for the slide.

Dave

— End quote

OK i tried that, but then i have problems with a phrase directly following of remembering which finger to do the 2-4 slide on! haha.

I would suggest playing the next phrase w/second finger. myself I would make an exercise starting with meas 6 or 7 and playing through 'til the C chord. Repeat about 1000 times and you’ll have it memorized. Then continue to repeat through the next week or so until it feels natural/comfortable to play the phrase.

Thats very similar to what I am having to relearn with Foggy Mountain Breakdown…my instructor years ago failed to tell me that…in the first few measures of the song, when you have the series of hammer-ons, that one needs to pick the first 2-3 hammer-on on the second string with the index finger then the first string with the middle finger(like normal), then the second 2-3 hammer-on on the second string with the THUMB and then the first string with the middle finger. I have been trying to learn this for years the way my instructor taught me to just use the index finger for every hammer-on sequence on the second string. I can tell you…one piece of wrong experience screws you for a long time lol.