Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Ben Cabin Fever Contest...& FREE SHIPPING!

Thanks. Just posting this is a win for me. :flushed:

3 Likes

Not only first timeā€¦ but @Simone hid away to quickly record it - as I recall @Mark_Rocka.

My ā€œmasterpieceā€ Mando (Mando-piece) took about 43 takes! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@Simone channels Rushā€™s 2112 to pull that off!
INCREDIBLE!

2112 REFERENCE EXPLAINED: 2112 ALBUM - RUSH (Recorded 1976)
For those who may not knowā€¦ the 2112 reference is linked to a 20-minute song/story of a person - who finds an ā€œancientā€ guitar and learns to play it (he had never even seen a guitar before).

In the story, a future society decreed music ILLEGAL but the man who finds and learns to play the guitar is completely unaware of this law (the concept and practice of music was completely obliterated from society in this story).

Unknowingly, he eagerly demonstrates his amazing guitar to the authorities as a marvelous ā€œgiftā€ of beauty and wonder but quickly finds that the authorities not only knew about music, they donā€™t share his perspectiveā€¦ as music was declared as influential in inciting dangerous emotions and ideas which had previously led to collapse of society - or so it was believed.

If you think this story is far-fetched and could never happen in real lifeā€¦ think again. At the time this was written (and before actually), musicians had already been exiled from countries for their music!

3 Likes

I loved, loved, loved this entry. Very nice and very entertaining with the outdoor realism, chicken, music and everything. One of my top picks. Thanks!

5 Likes

Loved it. Very nice and very entertaining! :wink:

2 Likes

Well the contest is over. Iā€™ve just got to say that I could not put a price on the enjoyment I got from watching all of the entries. I would dread to be in BB Clarkā€™s boots, because itā€™s going to be tough picking just a few entries from all of the videos. I hope and pray:

1. that all of these folks might consider being long-term members
  2. post regular videos of their progress in ā€˜Video-swapā€™ (I learn in part, by watching so it helps me too!)

Happy Picking to All !

5 Likes

Hi Neil, Itā€™s a drawing. Ben uses an app to enter all the names. The app chooses the winners

4 Likes

Whew! That removes the stress! Very wise move. I think they all deserve a prize. Enjoyed this so much.

4 Likes

Yep, 1st time ever in my life picking up a guitar and trying to play itā€¦ thank you! (Lol, but I chickened out of stealing the other sons banjo & attempting thatā€¦!!!)

3 Likes

Donā€™t mind me, I know this contest is over, but Iā€™m playing around with trying an iCloud link since my post from Facebook appears to have broken overnight. Just want to see if this works.
Jeff Little - Cabin Fever Video

2 Likes

Hi Jeff, The link works fine. But for future reference the easiest way is to upload your video to YouTube and paste the link right here on the forum.

2 Likes

@Deere_Crossing & @chcch,

I agree. As I look out on a snowy white landscape, this video from @chcch warms my heart and is so good for my soul.

Just a great video by Hannah! Thank you for posting and bringing warmth, light and promise of happier days ahead with this post.

It is like @BanjoBen and @Archie have been sayingā€¦ this contest was so therapeutic for us at this timeā€¦ but responses like these give back in sharing that joy a hundredfold!

4 Likes

You did good @JKL! You know I saw itā€¦ but listenā€¦ just try to repost it through YouTube like I did (after the deadline). @Fiddle_wood and I know you posted (thanks to @Fiddle_wood for that)ā€¦ but this is also a way for you to figure out the YouTube posting so you are ready for the next contest!

Seems @BanjoBen is already planning to have more (we know not when)ā€¦ so PERSEVERE and postā€¦ as your entry was good!

2 Likes

Thanks! I just figured out how to post to YouTube and will take your suggestion to see if I can make it work here. And thanks for the encouragement. Stepping out in ā€œpublicā€ like this makes me a little nervous, but yā€™all are a very nice ā€œaudienceā€ for a beginner like me.

5 Likes

Thanks, Archie. Iā€™ll see if I can do that.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my YouTube link attempt. Again, just playing with all this video upload stuff for next time.Jeff Little Cabin Fever Video on YouTube

3 Likes

Tell me about it @JKL!

I have been an active member on this awesome Forum for years - but had only posted one other video on Banjo.

This was my very first real ā€œperformance contest entryā€.

I kept encouraging all the other players with genuine interestā€¦ but looked back at myself to overcome my playing anxiety and finally post!

I felt like I just had to step up - especially as others were encouraging me to post too! In fact, I have been so supportive of others posting their performances because I lacked the courage to post myself!

Now, weā€™ve DONE IT, right? No need to be shy anymoreā€¦

4 Likes

Yes!

I encouraged a friend, Doug Hendrix, who plays guitar to join as a Gold Pick Member. He lives down the road and we get together every couple weeks to practice playing together. Weā€™re both at about the same level and every once in a while our wives say, ā€œWow, that actually sounds like music!ā€ So if we ever get anything that sounds halfway promising, weā€™ll make a point to post. But it does take us a while to get to halfway promising :slight_smile: Weā€™re both attending the first camp in July, by the way. Looking forward to meeting some of the talented folks who posted on this.

5 Likes

How exciting for you @jkl to attend the camp!

It is a dream for me to attend @BanjoBenā€™s camp one dayā€¦ but I have been out of work since the end of January.

Thankfully, I signed an offer letter last Friday to start a full-time, permanent (not contract) position on April 6th - praise God - Covid-19 permitting!

We really like Nashville and to attend the camp and meet everyone would be ā€œicing on the cakeā€!

My wife also commented how my entry really showed progress from where I startedā€¦ :grinning:

3 Likes

Indeed! Thatā€™s awesome!

2 Likes

Thanks @Mike_R!

1 Like