Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Ben 2020 European Camp Planning Thread

oh, very cool. I’ll definitely check it out, thanks for that.

Hi Maggie, my employer is in France, so I travel to France a lot. If I can be of any help to you, I would be happy to do it. Sancerre is a beautiful place, but the logistics might be a little daunting for those who are traveling to France or internationally for the first time. Strasbourg, Annecy, Colmar or Bordeaux would be a little easier to reach.

For the European contingent, Basel / Mulhouse, Grenoble, Bordeaux and Orly airports are served by Easyjet and several of the low cost European carriers, so it would be attractive area for them.

Let me know if you want any help. John

While it’s true my place near Sancerre is pretty remote compared to Bordeaux ect…, one could land at CDG or Orly and jump on the train in Paris (less than 2 hours) to the local train station and then I pick you up.

You might wanna check with low budget airlines about luggage and instruments these airlines like fast turnarounds and might not be are as careful with your precious belongings as these guy’s

Personally, I would love Sancerre. I understood it was more complicated to reach. That would be fine with me.

I can also pick up 7 folks directly at the airport in Paris!Dan's%20samba%20022

7 Likes

Dan that’s a beaut. I had one of those VW caravanette’s with the split screen back in the 1970’s. Sadly the engine gave up the ghost and I didn’t have the cash to replace it so I had to sell.

Wow that’s purdy!

Hi John, thanks for joining in. I’m sure Ben can use all the help he can get. Thanks for the info you provided and please feel free to offer any other info and ideas you may have.

For now, I think we should all keep throwing in ideas, concerns, etc. and see where it leads.

I think one of the first things we need to do is to figure out where most of the attendees would be coming from. The purpose of this camp of course would be to serve first and foremost @BanjoBen’s European students. With that in mind:

Where are they concentrated?

How to reach them and poll them to determine where or how far they are willing to go to attend?

How to invite the European students to join this thread?

Determine whether Brexit will be an issue (will it impede travel?)

It makes sense to chose a venue centrally located or otherwise easy to get to. In regards to the upcoming camp in Nashville, I myself will be driving over 700 miles (1100 km) to attend. Others will drive as well and some will fly. I know at least one will be flying from the other side of the country.

Distances may not be as great in Europe and they have a wonderful train system that might be more attractive and practical than flying. But I’m not sure, that’s why we really need to get more Europeans involved here.

As to venue, well Ben is using his own home and property for the inaugural camp, which keeps his cost down, which in turn keeps the price for attendees lower and as an attendee, I’m all for that. @seeligdan has been so gracious to offer his apparently gorgeous estate for the camp gratis and the resulting cost savings is of course a significant cost savings which would be passed on to attendees. He’s also addressing travel concerns getting to and from Sancerre.

Other more centrally located venues will likely incur a significant cost, raising the price for attendees. So, how does the savings in travel costs to a centrally located bespoke venue compare to the travel costs to a more remote venue that’s free? And, students travelling with instruments. @Archie raised a good point about flying with instruments and @johnbmcglade has good info as well . Of course, if someone were to offer up a really cool palace or castle or estate for free right in the heart of where ever the students are concentrated…

Anyway, last time I looked at the map, I think I remember seeing the largest concentration of students in the UK but the question I have is - Are all the European students on the map? I don’t think so.

Can anyone address this? Also, who knows how we can send out a poll or how we can reach and invite European students to join this discussion? It this their camp after all.

1 Like

I don’t have an easy way of running reports for my students in certain countries, but it can be done. Further, I can create a sign up form and promote it to Europe on facebook, etc.

Just wondering how long people are imagining this Euro camp would last? It’s a long ways to travel for a few days but in a week or 10 days we could surely get in a heap a learnin’ and playin.

People usually get pretty tired of looking at me after 3 days.

Really?

I have been lookin at you for close on eight years and I never get tired of seeing you. I guess I must be in a minority.

1 Like

Don’t you have an email list of members and former members?

You could send out a flier to field interest levels.

I don’t have facebook but count me in on the eurocamp. It’s true the location will be a major factor for many. And so many variables to take in consideration. I love to see the drive and commitment of Maggie. And not even a Euro student. :grinning:

1 Like

Ben’s upcoming camp in Nashville is three days. Other similar bluegrass or banjo camps/workshops here in the States run about three days as well and people travel from all over the country for them. They typically take place over a weekend plus a Friday or Monday so that attendees will have to take a minimal amount of time away from their job. So, with a day of travel on each end, that’s a five day adventure.

Going longer than that starts to get costly. Also keep in mind that Ben is providing other instructors as well, one each for banjo, guitar and mando so they have to be brought from the States or sourced within Europe, either way, it’s costly.

Personally, I think three days is just about right, any longer I think would be exhausting. Europeans though, I don’t know, perhaps they can tolerate more.

I agree with you Maggie. I was just thinking if folks are already there then they would want to make the most of it although 3 days of hardcore playing and learning would be be pretty taxing. I’m good with however long it is!

Curse those Scots and their… endurance! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m from San Francisco so I can’t really attest one way or the other about Euro endurance.