Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Basics & Beyond!

Join me Tuesday evening, Aug. 9, at 7pm central for an evening of fun discussing banjo basics (and beyond!)! Tickets will be available soon, so check back here.

This event is for those who:

• Have an interest in playing banjo!
  • Have started banjo & want to make sure you’re building on good foundations!
  • Been playing for a while but want to know your foundational techniques are sound!

We’ll cover things like:

• Analyze picks & string combinations
  • Talk basic banjo setup
  • Hand positions & planting
  • Talk about successful practice
  • How to progress as a player, and much more!

Do you have a question you’d like answered during the live session? Leave it below and I’ll do my best to answer!
11 Likes

That is just AWESOME Ben. I’ll be working, but I’ll be tuned in for sure!!! My question is this, I have a Twanger. How much can the action be lowered using the coordinator rods? Can it be significant or should you have the neck angle worked on? Thanks.

3 Likes

The tix are now live! You can save 20% with code LIVESAVE. If you know someone who would benefit from the class but can’t afford it, please send me a message. Register here: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/banjo-ben-live-banjo-basics-beyond

2 Likes

Sounds great, Ben! Here is my question: How do you go about using the different kinds of picking patterns in solo and backup?

1 Like

I have been playing a couple years and have the bad habit of pulling my index finger up away from the strings instead of keeping it close. Any suggestion on how to correct?
Also, will you address how to maintain a good hand position? Sometimes I do well with accuracy. Other times it is poor.
Thanks

1 Like

Great questions!

Is this a two-way event, like a Zoom meeting?
Can I show you how I pick & have you comment on what I’m doing right/wrong?

1 Like

No, it’s not, but I do hope to do those in the future. Would be cool to do on top of the Video Swap forum cat we already have.

4 Likes

Looking forward to this event! Want to find out if I am practicing efficiently and correctly.

Wondering also about the little finger flying all over the place when I play! Sometimes it sits tight, other times it wants to move around and get some exercise. Like a child I have tried scolding it, I have tried to pen it in with the sticky rings on the banjo head but alas nothing works. When it flies around my playing is not as good and tight. When it stays still I play slower but better. I am thinking amputation might help but thought I would reach out here first to see if there are any other hints?

3 Likes

Hi Ben!

This sounds like great fun! Hoping it will re-energize my practice. Progress is so slow, get discouraged, drop it for awhile, pick it up again, right back to where I left off, progress a bit, stall, drop… rinse and repeat.

As for a question: Seems like many bluegrass banjo breaks don’t really follow the tune of the song, but rather are just a series of rolls and licks pasted together (skillfully) while following the chord progression. Is this legit? I guess whatever sounds good is legit. How would one practice such a thing - well I know how, but a demo of flowing from one roll type to another and throwing in licks between some would be cool. But perhaps I’m totally off-base, and need to just concentrate on the build-a-break lessons!

4 Likes

I finalized our hour+ today, and we’re gonna have a ball! I have a few surprises for you and I promise it to be worth your time…see you Tuesday night!

3 Likes

@BanjoBen I have a couple questions (for now)…

• when playing build-a-breaks, should I be picking the melody notes harder or should I strike all notes with equal intensity?
  • I always start out playing with a slight bend in the wrist of my picking hand and my elbow tucked toward my torso, but after a few runs the wrist likes to flatten out. Is that OK, or do I need to focus on keeping that slight bend in the wrist?
1 Like

Looking forward to being there. I consider myself a repeat drop-out picker. The banjo keeps beating me. I would consider it a victory just to make some notable progress. I hope I have the discipline to do that.

Should beginners just work on one style - Bluegrass (Scruggs), or Claw-hammer, or is it okay to mess around with both. I love the sound of both.

I would also like to know your thoughts on working/playing alone vs. playing with others (even with various instruments) as the best way to improve/learn.

Thanks for all you do.

4 Likes

Do whatever style keeps you playing! Even if your right hand is doing different things between Scruggs and claw hammer, you’re still developing left hand dexterity and knowledge.

4 Likes

Question from Tom Milazzo:

I have been a Gold Pick member for a long time, but still consider myself to be a “beginner”. My picking thumb does not move essentially parallel to the banjo head as I see with all good banjo players. My thumb goes sort of in a circle. I have heard this called “flying thumb”.
How bad a habit is this and how do I stop? Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hi @aliciabowman it would help @BanjoBen a lot to see a short video of Tom’s Thumb (no pun intended) in action. He’ll be better able to advise.2ThumbsUp

2 Likes

Hi Ben,

I need help progressing, successful practice tips, and any advice on carpal tunnel injuries- how to prevent or manage after surgery. I have had the surgery and am limited on how much time I can practice per day because the OT fears scar tissue will reform. It is really hard for me to limit my time to 5-10 minutes per day with stretching before and after but I think I will try doubling that but doing it twice daily instead of in one block practice. Thanks so much, excited for the live event!

Leigh

2 Likes

Gonna be fun! I’m devoting an entire segment to mapping out practice times. We’ll look at a mini-session, medium, and long practice session and how to manage them.

4 Likes

Hello Ben,

Just about to register for the live session, really looking forward to it. Here’s my question for submission:

I have been playing for about a year now (bought myself a gold pick membership last September) and really enjoy your lessons, though feel like I am progressing slower than I should. I’m curious if it is normal for it to take years before being able to play anything fast (or even fast-ish)? I am working my way through the beginner banjo track and seem to be able to learn the songs but can’t bump up the tempo much at all on any of them. Is this pretty common for new players, or am I missing something?
Thanks!
Erin

1 Like

Howdy Ben,
Total beginner here. I could use your guidance on when to move on to the next lesson. I think I’m hanging on too long trying to be perfect, and I don’t feel like I’m moving forward. I’m definitely looking forward to hearing your practice tips tonight. Thank you. Patti

1 Like