Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Auld Lang Syne "Band" Contest!

I fully expect to see some of y’all in the entries! Good luck!

20 Likes

Oh boy scary… I have no family or friends at all that play anything bluegrass

Can someone make a tutorial for a free video editor ASAP? :joy: I’ve literally never done anything of that sort so it may be interesting

4 Likes

If you have an Apple device, iMovie is pretty solid for simple projects and has a fairly easy learning curve:

5 Likes

Thanks @Michael_Mark

2 Likes

Does harmonica qualify as an acoustic instrument?

5 Likes

@KevinB, good question! Should qualify!

3 Likes

@JohnM thanks for the info.

If anyone thinks otherwise (specifically @BanjoBen), what’s wrong with you? please notify me.

5 Likes

Yep

4 Likes

So, I’ve got an idea for a video. I’ve made several in the past, but before, I’ve recorded the music and then lyp synced the video parts but don’t want to do that this time. Any tips to do a banjo ben style video? Like how does he know when to come in and to play in time with the other instruments without adding the sound of a metronome in the audio feed? Here’s one of my old videos for reference (this particular one I just got a karaoke version and just sang (very badly) over the cover because I couldn’t do the banjo part up to speed in time with the track.)

5 Likes

Hey @Banjoben,

In the rules is says the instrument must be an acoustic instrument. Does that mean all instruments, or just the main one? I’m asking because my sisters and I also play piano, whistle, etc. The main ones would be banjo and guitar, but just wanted to check on the others. Thanks for this great opportunity!

5 Likes

That is a good question, @ambergkeith. I’m no expert (by any stretch of the imagination!), so I probably do it rather unprofessionally, but…

I usually record what I call my “base” track first (usually the guitar just playing chords) onto my dad’s iPad. Then I transfer a copy of that audio to my mp3 player and listen to that base track using earbuds while I record myself playing the next track (say, the banjo licks) using the iPad again. Now, I simply keep recording on the iPad while listening to the mp3 track until I have recorded all tracks that I need. Finally, I take everything to the computer, download it, and mix it. Like I said, probably not very professional, but it’s what I have come up with and it has worked decently well up until now.

If anybody has a more efficient way, I’m all ears. Also, does anybody have a suggestion for a good mixing app for a windows computer?

3 Likes

I’d think it would be extra fun to see live bands, so those of you who have siblings, why bother mixing and stacking parts when you can just shoot a video?

12 Likes

I second that motion!

3 Likes

Thanks for the help. I thought about the earbuds thing after I posted and I did find some good youtubes on how to do this. I use mixcraft for audio. It’s good and easy to use and pretty cheap.

1 Like

Because i live in the most NONbluegrass place in the world. Like literally, no one in my family plays anything even close to bluegrass.:cry:

5 Likes

Hmm, I’m expecting a killer Headin Home version.

6 Likes

Ya Buddy!!

5 Likes

It does not have to be bluegrass unless I miss something! So go ahead and get your troop ready! :wink:

4 Likes

That would work! Piano and whistle are acoustic instruments.

4 Likes

Correct, it does not have to be a “bluegrass” version!

4 Likes