Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Arm rest?

Anyone use a mandolin arm rest? If so, does it help?

I have one on one mando and another without. I’ll get one for the other one at some point. The one I have is a McClung. It’s removable so if you don’t like it, you can take it off. It helps me position my hand/arm better. Here’s a link for the McClungs:
hillcountrystringworks.com/armrest5.html

I’m in the same boat as Mike… I have an A model with a McClung armrest and an F model without an armrest. To tell the truth, I don’t notice it either way. (I suppose if I took it off the A and installed it on the F, then I would notice). The nice thing is that there is no drilling or modifications to your mandolin. If you try one and don’t like it, simply take it off and post it on Mandolin Cafe or even here on the forum. They sell easy and you won’t lose a whole lot. I think you’ll like it though, most people do. Some people claim that the mandolin sounds better with an arm rest because it allows the top to resonate better. I really don’t see that myself, but I’m not a sound freek. I’m 51, just glad I can hear. :blush:

What kind of mandolin would you be putting it on?

— Begin quote from "jwpropane"

Some people claim that the mandolin sounds better with an arm rest because it allows the top to resonate better.

— End quote

I guess it’s possible but there is so little contact between my arm and the top that it wouldn’t make much of a difference to me. Now a tone guard keeping the back off of my spare tire is another story. Big difference.

Hmm, interesting on the tone guard. Sounds like a good Christmas gift for my mandolin. LOL