Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Any one having this problem (adding notes)

I have found since I have been studying the guitar and flat picking I find learning notes sometimes that are not there just by the feel I have and it messes with the timing a bunch . I may be dyslexic on reading tab , so I have to really make sure I have all the notes lined up and in order . I also find in realizing I do have a problem that my learning goes smoother and faster . In the beginning did not tap my foot because I felt I could not walk and chew gum at the same time, but now it is becoming a natural thing for me to really get in to tapping with out knowing I am doing it. Concentration for a 70 year old sometimes can be a challenge . I had an instructor once that made me think about what is is that I am doing by laying the instrument down and using my hands and feet to make a rhythm with just those two items. and it helped but I am slow but it grows on me after so many times . I have often thought of taking drum lessons just to get the feel of the beats . drums are not part of bluegrass but I think it may be an invaluable tool to learn how to do some simple rhythms on the drums or a trash lid what ever . I also think it is important to get four notes right instead of 50 wrong. Keep on playing, things will fall in to place and you won’'t even know it for awhile.

Howdy Welder. Do you use Tabledit when you are learning a tab? If not, I think that might be very helpful to hear the notes as well as see them being “played.” It has been a very helpful tool for me.

As far as working on the rhythm of notes, I see that a fair amount with guitarists. While you don’t see too many people that learn to play a symphony instrument (like oboe) primarily by ear, many guitarists learn that way. With the person learning a symphony instrument, they are almost always going to learn some music theory including how to count out rhythms. When playing by ear, you don’t need to learn to count out rhythms until it gets difficult. Trying to learn to count on a section with difficult syncopation is a tough way to try to learn to count. I think if guitarists learn to count early on, it’s a good thing as they are likely to need it at some point. If it is learned early, I would expect it would be easier than learning it later.

— Begin quote from ____

I also think it is important to get four notes right instead of 50 wrong.

— End quote

Ain’t that the truth? Even the simplest melody played with good time sounds musical, but a flood of rhythmless notes sounds more like noise than music. That’s why I remind myself every day that the metronome is my friend.

As in reading some people see the letters switched around and I think I am that way at times with tab . When you add a note it does throw the timing off unless you accommodate the note by slicing the value of another note. By the way I do use tabledit and am pleased with it very much, It is an invaluable tool, slow it down what ever you want change the capo what ever . Mike hearing the tune is almost a must with me . I have come close but no cigar with the tab but yes hearing is also learning .

Another thing could be wrong is I am older than dirt and sometimes dust falls out me ears LOL . Thank you for all the input ./ as I look at my fingers for the pick and it is on the floor . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Welder, you hang in there buddy! If you add more notes into a measure and make them fit, people will think you are just being stylish.
I can’t help with the dust in your ears, but getting older sure beats the alternative!

Hey guy just tell em it’s Jazz!! :mrgreen: ……I played or tried to play, jazz guitar for many years and my instructor Bob Conti is a guy who loves to play over 300bpm and while it amazed me he could play at that speed it also seemed to just overwhelm you with a barrage of notes that after a few minutes just became one, I preferred when he played a nice slow melody. The simple tune in time and tasty is much more enjoyable to people I find as well, flash only goes so far. If people recognize the tune and can tap along or sing it’s all good!

— Begin quote from "Jerry M"

Hey guy just tell em it’s Jazz!! :mrgreen: ……I played or tried to play, jazz guitar for many years and my instructor Bob Conti is a guy who loves to play over 300bpm and while it amazed me he could play at that speed it also seemed to just overwhelm you with a barrage of notes that after a few minutes just became one, I preferred when he played a nice slow melody. The simple tune in time and tasty is much more enjoyable to people I find as well, flash only goes so far. If people recognize the tune and can tap along or sing it’s all good!

— End quote

I listen to progressive jazz one time that was it , I was not impressed nor did I enjoy it . I think some one just came up with a way to play random scale and made a style out of it . I will stick with country and old rock and bluegrass and of course the Celtic and the jigs and horn pipes. always to thy own self be true.

Hey Welder how you doing, I agree I love the bluegrass and celtic music reels all good, and after many years of playing a electric arch top in the jazz blues venue I can tell you IMO it is much, much, harder to learn and master this type of music on acoustic. I have been at this now for almost three years and I still feel like a beginner, and am now that I think about it.
Some of these tunes on acoustic have not only challenged me mentally but physically this stuff is tough to play. It has taken me a few years to get where I can gain some speed and touch on acoustic, on electric it was not easy in many respects but did not require such a high degree of physical strength.
It took me a long time to get where I had just enough pressure on the strings to fret and not beyond, in other words pressing to hard, and worked through a lot of hand issues but now I think I finally have a handle on it and making some progress as of late.I sure admire folks like Ben who can play so well and on many instruments. Jerry

Not that I’m wishing difficulties on you guys, but it makes me feel a little better knowing I’m not the only one struggling to become competent at this kind of music.

I would say that one aspect of learning is to do exactly what the instructor is showing you I have this bone headed way of learning as for years I did not have any instruction at all . I just bogarted my way and that is not good, I have found his tips on finger position not only of the right hand but the left especially on the banjo will help you get to there faster and more accurate. so when learning bear in mind you have a live instructor before you and you back it up or what ever you need, but pay attention to how he is playing it . Try and emulate the syncopation he has in my case that would constipation , any way listen and learn .watch and get it . One more time using tabeldit I have added another note to a simple G lick and I open up the fourth string to and D note that is not there but I caught it and yes I put it in there with the program and it does fit but you have to be very fast . LOL .

— Begin quote from ____

I would say that one aspect of learning is to do exactly what the instructor is showing you I have this bone headed way of learning as for years I did not have any instruction at all .

— End quote

I’m like you, welder. I have developed the bad habit of doing what is easy in the short-term, rather than what might be more difficult at first, but more effective long-term. I’m working on fixing that.