Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Angeline the Baker

Our bluegrass quartet played a gig the other night at a “Dining under the Stars” event in a local town. I was able to get some video of the event, but unfortunately the camcorder was next to the PA speaker and the loudness distorted the microphones in the camcorder. However, “Angeline the Baker” came out without too much distortion.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kopTsacsLiU[/video]

Very nice! You guys can pick while I dine any old time.

Very nice!!

Awesome! Doc, you have nice “popcorn” like eighth notes… they pop nicely. Right before you started your break, I thought I heard a familiar voice call out from the audience “GLick!”
That was a nice crowd reaction as well.

That was good! Is that thing the lady is playing a bass?

I hope it’s a bass… otherwise someone in the audience sneaked one into the restaurant :slight_smile:

Sounded great!!! very nice …im jealous i havent found some more players to form a group and pick with yet …finally got power and internet back after fridays storm …good thing i didnt need electricity to pick my Martin …lol …very nice again !!

— Begin quote from "Julian"

That was good! Is that thing the lady is playing a bass?

— End quote

Yep, it is called a Ubass (ukelele bass). Here is a video review I did of the instrument at the end of last year:

[video]http://youtu.be/OOs7Q8W_4tU[/video]

Man, you had to do a bunch of work to that UBass. Did the paperwork say “Some assembly required?”
It looks like a fun instrument. I like the attack of the poly strings for bass.

Actually, the only reason I did not send it back is that my wife had been looking to get one of these babies for about 8 months. Kala had put out this bass and did not foresee that they would sell out so quickly. So they were not available for quite a long time. This was one of the 2nd shipment and it was pretty obvious that they were made in a hurry. My wife liked the way it looked and the important stuff (straight neck, decent neck set, no cracks…etc) looked okay. So I took it into my workshop and repaired/fixed/setup the instrument to play properly.

It is a very fun bass to play. It is small, fingers extremely easily and weighs nearly nothing! It sounds pretty decent through a Behringer BDI-21 (DI box with some eq functions). I would love it is Fishman made an Aura pedal for the acoustic/electric bass with piezo pickups (can you imagine an upright bass setting?).

— Begin quote from "drguitar"

Fishman made an Aura pedal for the acoustic/electric bass with piezo pickups (can you imagine an upright bass setting?).

— End quote

That would be pretty sweet. With the poly strings, it doesn’t have a strong fretted sound to begin with… kind of like flatwound strings. Add in a little modelling and and I think you are right… that would be pretty cool.

Thanks for the Bass review. I wish all reviews were that thorough, honest and professional.