Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Andy Griffith - there is a time fingerpicking help

Hello! Im a huge Andy Griffith fan (actually the reason I started playin guitar!) Ive been searching to find the tabs the the way Andy plays “there is a time” by the Dillard. Ive seen cover videos and strumming lessons but I cant seem to find the right tabs for the way he plays it. Can any one help?!

1 Like

Hello @cashtag.cody, welcome to the forum!

Until someone finds what you need, here is something to your taste. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/YXddJAlnzFY

1 Like

Hi @cashtag.cody Cody welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Whilst Banjo Ben is a big fan of Andy Griffith it is highly unlikely that you will find any of the Dillard TABs here on Ben’s website.

2 Likes

In the tune “There is a Time”, Andy is not so much finger picking as he is playing the bass notes of the chords with his thumb and plucking upward on the treble strings with his fingers. It is essentially a Bass-strum pattern but using his fingers rather than a flat pick. As far as the chords progression, it goes like this: They are capoed on the 2nd fret
|| Am / / / | Am / / / | C / / / | Am / / / | C / / / | Am / / / | F / G / | Am / / / || :+1:

4 Likes

This is awesome and so helpful! Thank you! Could i ask, when you got these cords, where you watching him play with the Dillard or by himself? I believe he plays different notes when he sang the song solo, just wondering. Thank again!

I watched the Dillards (Darlings?) video to see what he was doing with his hands. As far as the guitar chords, I used my ear for that.
I listened to his solo version and his guitar is tuned down about a half step. The chords are the same but the picking pattern at the beginning is a bit unusual.
B - P - 4+1 - 2 - B - 3 - 4 - P - B+1 - P - 4 - P - B - P - 4 - P
(P = Pause)
The pattern is played with even counts between each dash (-) consecutively and the + means those string are played simultaneously.
with the thumb playing the root of the chord (B for Bass) and alternating with the the thumb also playing the 4th string. The ring finger plays the 1 (1st string) the middle finger the 2 (2nd string) and the index plays the 3 (3rd string). The bolded “B+1” is where he adds the note G (3rd fret, 1st string) to the A minor chord and the C major chord. The recording on Youtube is not dead clear, but that is what I hear. :+1:

3 Likes