Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Am I an Idiot for Busking?

Hello, Pickers! Call me crazy, but I like busking–I don’t get much money, but the reason I do it is (a) to get practice in front of real live people and (2) I like seeing people smile when they recognize the tunes. I’m only good enough to play silly campfire singalong songs: Doggie in the Window, Camptown Races, Oh Susannah, Alouette, and so forth.

I’ve got a bluegrassy version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star I do, over which I have a patter about getting three songs for the price of one: Twinkle Twinkle (I sing the words “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”…) and the Alphabet Song (then I finish that phrase with “H, I, J, K, L-M-N-O, P”…). But wait, that’s not all–then I sing a line of “Baa Baa Black Sheep.”

Anyway, I’ll be busking at Birmingham’s Pepper Place this Saturday, and then in Tallahassee, Florida, later this month.

So, am I an idiot for busking. The good news is I haven’t been arrested–yet.

Thanks!..Wayne (Codex10168)

IMHO, You are not an idiot for busking. I have to admit that I had to look up the definition of busking to ensure it meant what I thought it meant :slight_smile:

You say you are “only good enough to…” In my humble opinion, we musicians get way too hung up on our technical abilities. I have a hard time convincing people learning an instrument that you don’t have to be a technical wonder to make really enjoyable music. You say that you like to make people smile. I say that’s great motivation, so keep making them smile!

Thanks, Mike!

How did you post a picture of yourself sitting in your plane? I want to post one of mine.

First off, get an picture with a small size. I think the limits are 240 X 240 pixels and 14.6k max in size.

Next, click on “User Control Panel” the top of a forum page.

Next, click on the “Profile” tab.

Next, click on “Edit Avatar” on the left. Once you do that, you will see a button that allows you to “choose file.” Once you have selected a file, click on the submit button. That should do it.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

You say you are “only good enough to…” In my humble opinion, we musicians get way too hung up on our technical abilities. I have a hard time convincing people learning an instrument that you don’t have to be a technical wonder to make really enjoyable music. You say that you like to make people smile. I say that’s great motivation, so keep making them smile!

— End quote

Well said Mike!
When I get hung up on what I feel is my lack of ability it tenses me up way too much to play well and more important, I forget how much fun i really can have playing music…which is why I’ve been involved in it for most of my life.

I’ve done a bit of busking with friends & band members over the years and it was always a great time. Those who will enjoy what you do will listen and those who aren’t drawn in by what you are doing will go on their way. It beats the heck out of playing Bluegrass to a crowd that is set on hearing the latest hat act, Bob Segar, Ted Nugent, etc.etc.