Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

A word of encouragement (maybe...)

Oh man, you so seriously SHOULD start a blog,. You could generate gobs of great content. But, you’ll put so much time into it and it will detract from your schooling, your music, your ministries, your family etc.

I started a blog in 2008. It started off as a travel blog and evolved into other stuff too. It went great for three years and I had a lot of fun with it. I haven’t written anything new since 2011 though, but it’s still out there.

But if you DID start a blog, you could start off with the story about your name and your forum name. But, you probably won’t really start a blog.

Hey everyone, since Gunnar probably won’t REALLY start a blog, someone should ask him about his name and forum name. Just say “Hey Gunnar, what’s the deal with your cool name? And where did Dragonslayer come from?”

C’mon guys, someone ask him.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m gonna submit that as my thesis paper for my master’s… :joy::joy:

I would argue that practice doesn’t make perfect. It makes better, but as you said no one is perfect. To fully answer the argument you postulated, I’ll break it down.

1. Practice makes perfect
  2. No one is perfect
  3. Thus practice is pointless
    This argument falls apart because the tenets are not all solid. Practice does not make perfect, thus the first tenet is bunk. But for the sake of discussion, let’s say it wasn’t, so pretend it’s true. If the first one was true, and the second point is true, this leaves the conclusion. I would say that the third point doesn’t follow logically from the first two. If practice makes perfect, and nobody’s perfect, the logical following would either be that practice is impossible or is a myth. But it doesn’t matter cuz we already proved the first point wrong. Here’s an alternative argument
  4. Practice makes better
  5. No one is perfect
  6. Thus attempting perfection through practice is futile
    I made that up as I typed it, but it’s pretty much true, and is pretty much what my first statement said
2 Likes

You’re killin’ me man, you’re killin’ me :confounded:

3 Likes

Sorry, my dad is big into apologetics and it’s spilled onto me some :joy::joy:

4 Likes

@Dragonslayer,

Apologetics?

Is that like the genes from Ap☀️llo or something?

Wait a minute… it is when L. Ron Hubbard apologies, right?

1 Like

Ah yeah, that’s neat. I’ve been studying up on apologetics lately, it’s quite fascinating. Yesterday, I was looking at how God describes saurapod dinosaurs in great detail (Behemoth) to Job and how archaeologists are now finding things inside dinosaur bones like red blood cells and cartridge; things that could not be there after many millions of years.

2 Likes

I love apologetics! J Warner Wallace is one of my favorites in this subject. Still can’t figure out if I’m a young earth or old earth creationist. :thinking:

But it’s so much more vast that just that.

2 Likes

I think I land on the side of Middle-Earth @Treblemaker

2 Likes

Wallace is the cold case Christianity author? My dad just got that book on audible, so he’s been listening to it. I personally am a young earth guy, mainly cuz I don’t see any evidence for it being older, and plenty for it being younger, but I don’t really think it matters much, it’s a lesser doctrinal point that shouldn’t be a church splitter

3 Likes

Agreed. And yes, J Warner has written “Cold Case Christianity”, “God’s Crime Scene”, and “Cold Case Christianity for Kids”

reasons.org make a very compelling case for old earth, but I don’t fall on either side, nor do I consider it an essential.

2 Likes

absolutely right. I just think it’s neat how there is so much science in the Bible and more and more these days, science is supporting the Bible. It’s fun to see them come together.

3 Likes

Sadly, many bicker about the 10-20% instead of respecting the different view and coming together to praise the other 80% where they do agree…

Further, I think the Evil One smiles every time there is discention about faith.

2 Likes

I wish it were so. Those guys are headquartered right here in Clearwater and I wish that was not so.

Oh really?

Yup

1 Like

@Dragonslayer,

Hey Gunnar, what IS the story with your name anyway?

And where did Dragonslayer come from?

I agree with @MissMaggie… you should start a blog. I am sure you have many adventures - music or otherwise - with you adventures in Africa playing Bluegrass, no less. How is it received over there?

Has African music influenced you… As Brazilian music has with me?

2 Likes

I don’t know much about that whole thing. Never read Dianetics…

Do you want the short answer or the long version?

Yeah, but I don’t really want to devote the time it’d take to make a blog. The locals are usually impressed when they hear me pick, but they don’t appreciate it like I do, they prefer singing, regardless of singing ability.

Not really, cuz the local music here is all super annoying pop style music on the radio and I don’t listen to it. It might be a different story in north Africa, but I don’t live there

The fullest explanation - sparing no details… but to your level of comfort

1 Like

Ok, I’ll start a new thread about it

1 Like