Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

A poem I wrote about bluegrass!

I was excited to win 3rd place in HSLDA’s 2020 Poetry Contest. Rule was every line had to start with a consecutive letter of the alphabet. No theme, but I chose bluegrass! It reminded me of Banjo Ben’s music/essay contest so I thought y’all might enjoy!

My Bluegrass Mountain Heritage - Libby Lindblom Poem.pdf (607.3 KB)

26 Likes

Your poem is most evocative, like another Twilight
Zone filled with love and every bit a de-light! :grin:

6 Likes

That was great!!

6 Likes

Very nice!

5 Likes

Very creative Libby I enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing .:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Great job Libby!

4 Likes

That was fantastic.
I’m sure it took you a while.
It hit close to home.

5 Likes

Poem? great song!

That’s some awesome wordage there!

6 Likes

Nice job! That’s quite a challenge to fulfill, and you delivered!

5 Likes

wow, that is great. Put a tune to it and you got a hit, :).

5 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

4 Likes

Really enjoyed it Libby! Great job!

4 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome; you’re quite talented. I have to ask though, where’s Y and Z? Don’t get me wrong, I’m impressed you were able to cover X.

I appreciate your wordsmithing. I’m gonna try to memorize it, cause it’s in such a nice order and all.

4 Likes

The contest rules were that you could start and finish on any letter you wanted, as long as you didn’t use more than 26 lines. You didn’t have to use the whole alphabet, and I figured if I used Y and Z, I’d have two extra lines - so half a stanza. I thought about adding a “tag” but it just seemed complete with 6 stanzas. Thanks for your kind compliment; glad you liked it! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Anyone who wants to add the Y and Z lines for me for fun, you can!

6 Likes

Ah… OK, that explains it. Thanks for that. Oh I’m so sorry I didn’t get to meet you at camp Libby, I bet you’re a hoot.

5 Likes

This transplanted yankee just learned more about mountain music culture in two minutes, than I could have in years of study. Congratulations!

6 Likes

Loved it! And, you almost had a “y” and “z.”

2 Likes

That’s a great song. I was raised in the hills and hollows of S Ohio (Ashland, KY and Huntington, WV right across the river) and come from a long line of front porch pickers. My father had 8 brothers and sisters, raised dirt poor farmers in the 40s and 50s and to fill up any idle time they all played an instrument…so I came from a family of front porch pickers.

Great poem/song.

2 Likes

Just read Hillbilly Elegy. He was from Jackson, KY.