Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

A name for the famous Bluesgrass 4 bar ending

I just always called it a tag, not sure if that’s been nominated yet.

2 Likes

Ok we’ll add Tag.

2 Likes

We could get all fancy and yell out “Coda!”

3 Likes

Or Fine (fee-nay)

2 Likes

@BanjoBen,

That’s a kill shot for sure!

1 Like

DECISION TIME: ** END OF THIS WEEKEND!**

Sunday @ Midnight is the deadline for inputs and debate to conclude.

If you have not seen it, @BanjoBen has said he will support and use OUR RECOMMENDATION.

As @jmonickaraj1 so graciously suggested (while adding Coop to the name for posterity - jk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:), I will render a verdict and submit the name on Monday.

Finalists - in order of preference currently:

1. Caboose
  2. Tail
  3. Shave
  4. Boot (or Bootstrap, Laces, Spurs, or Heel… but NOT kick)
  5. Tag
  6. [Write-In] (Last Chance)

@BanjoBen:

1. Is there any way to formulate a survey of these to send to the whole Forum Membership?

2. Can you ask for your sisters input - as well as those from your contacts (store)?

Finally, a shout out to @Dragonslayer for his push to get this done. Thanks Bud!

Final Call GANG! Caboose is pulling away…

@Jake, @Archie, @MissMaggie, @Fiddle_wood, @Mike_R, @Dragonslayer, @DrGuitar1

1 Like

I currently think kill it is pretty snazzy, so put that on the list. I’ll do it for the quote.
I know you can make a poll, although only people who read this thread will see it

1. Caboose
  2. Tail
  3. Shave
  4. Windup (write-in)

The leader of our jam just nods at the last measure.

1 Like

Know I’m a late passenger to board this train, but have been watching the thread with some amusement to see what rises to the top. So here’s my 2 bits…

Caboose sounds cool in writing and fits the genre in so many ways, but I wonder if it would be hard for me to hear over the monstrous din I’d likely be making if I were part of this bluegrass jam. I feel the same about boot.

I like the idea of the ending term also being easy to include in a fun little description like I’ve read others above comment on like; “wag the tail”, or “shave and a haircut”, or “time to go out” (let’s go out), or in honor of Ben’s grandmother we could say, “put out the fire, boys” in order to douse the flames and bring this smoldering heap to to a full and complete stop.

(OK, so I added the phrases to “out” myself, but the word did make it to an earlier list above). :grin:

1 Like

I like the feedback… @xmark.

"All due respect, “Put out” is a phrase I’m not too comfy with… But “Go Out” isn’t bad.

I just avoided it because of Outro… that this has a connotation of a repeated, long fade of a pattern, at least… I think that is the mea meaning… Which is very different than the famous hard-stop.

Or… Maybe “Full-Stop” - the old telegraph term… That doesn’t have a current connotation anymore. We could revive that term…

Also, don’t they “Unhitch” a Caboose?

Oh geez, we are adding to the list…

I did not know what Caboose is until I just googled it. Now I like it as it is different. But @xmark 's sentiments about Caboose also make sense. So I don’t know what to choose.

I will leave it for our judge @WillCoop 's to decide!

Not so fast, my friend @jmonickaraj1,

Tell me what is your personal Top 3 (in order of preference, please).

I think I need someone like xmark’s explanation to understand what each means. Alright, I’ll randomly pick and put it in random order. I’m putting my suggestion on top but I know it has no bluegrass connection in someway.

So here goes…

1. Windup
  2. Tail
  3. Caboose

“Tag it” is a common phrase when jazz players want to add a iii/vi to the end of a tune. So my vote would be for the unspoken “visual kick motion” of anyone in the group to signal that the tune should end. That has worked for countless years in my area of the country (Mid-Atlantic) and no one needs to call out anything and disrupt the music that is happening. :wink:

3 Likes

Are you saying that they will end a song with a 3 and 6 chord? eg. E and A notes if when playing in the key of C?

1 Like

STOP!!! :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t think the intention is to call it out, rather to refer to it when teaching or arranging a song.

1 Like

I’m late to the fray but I was at the Blue Ridge Music Center a few weeks back. The seasoned fiddle players signaled the end of every tune with the “kick” or while seated, they raised their foot. Everyone knew the tune was ending.

To start a song, I have heard “Kick it Off” many times. Maybe when it’s time to end, “Take it Out” or “Take it Home”. I can almost her @BanjoBen calling out, “Take it Home Katy”.

2 Likes

Oh that wasn’t my understanding of it, but it makes more sense and I’d call it something different in that case. (A noun rather than a command, ie “the caboose” rather than “cut!” Or whatever)