Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

A name for the famous Bluesgrass 4 bar ending

I don’t think the number is necessary.
I propose each person nominate one or two names, and then we make a poll and vote on it.
Before I nominate one, this is something you say to tell people you’re jamming with to end it right?

1 Like

@Dragonslayer,

I like that idea for now - scratch the bar designation y’all. If it ever has to be used or called out, it can be tacked on to the term that wins… anytime, right?

2 Likes

One last thought about the Number thing…

In honor of the “Shave and a Haircut - 2 bits”

It occurred to me that just that part of the ending (da, da-ta-da, da - DA, DA) - IS 2 bars!

2 bits… 2 bars… I’m just sayin’…

1 Like

So… My final list of 3 to be considered based on what I like - and in priority order:

1. Caboose (I like the RR tie-in)
  2. Boot (with or without Spurs, special to Bluegrass)
  3. Shave (Just traditional l, classic and already holds a prominant place in the song structure of Bluegrass)

I would be honored to have the leaders of this site (all of whom I admire and respect their opinion - greatly) to chime in… as they know the industry and carry the insight of working players.

And please… A brand new submission can be in there so we all can jump on that bandwagon!

@BanjoBen, @Jake, @Archie, @Fiddle_wood, @MissMaggie, @Mike_R, @Dragonslayer, @DrGuitar1

2 Likes

I also cannot help but wonder what the Purple Hulls (Ben’s talented sisters), Tony Wray, Mr Boone and the other Store gang, Mr. Munde, and the other immensely talented musicians and teachers would vote for…

2 Likes

You could probably send them an email and ask. Bluegrass folks tend to be pretty down to earth and interactive with fans, even if they’re not super technologically active…
I know a lot of bands use a leg kick to say one more time…

1 Like

Y’all let me know what you settle on and I’ll start using the lingo!

2 Likes

What an honor! Thanks @BanjoBen.

C’mon y’all… Give me some feedback.- please!

1 Like

I like Caboose, but I like anything RRs! How 'bout approach or approach-stop?

1 Like

Interesting… @D_HRRFan7303.

I think I prefer caboose but interesting…

Yes, the attraction of RR is powerful.

1 Like

head & tail…

1 Like

Yes… @Fiddle_wood, I have recommended Tail before… and it seems very suitable also.

Is that your one and only suggestion/recommendation for a name?

1 Like

How about Halt! Or Woah! Or maybe…

I like: Tail (“wag the tail!” would be the call out?) or Caboose

Shave and Boot seem good too though… :thinking: .

Although when I think of “boot” I think of “kick” and “kickoff” Is already the name of the start… so… that’d be my least fav personally.

Sorry, this thread has become too long to scroll up and re-read! :)… so “Shave and a Haircut” is not the official name of the last few bars already? I thought it was… anyway I guess that is why “Shave” seems like a good choice to me too.

1 Like

I know a guy that says “Take it an kill it” when he wants you to do a break an then an ending. So, “kill it” is an option that is in use.

2 Likes

I vote for “double lung”

3 Likes

Think that just flew over my head.

2 Likes

It’s definitely obscured :wink: I was playing off of Mike’s comment about “take it and kill it”. Double lung is an archery kill shot, and since the ending has two parts… Never mind, I don’t think it’ll work. Hahahaha

5 Likes

Hmm…

Windup?

2 Likes

Ok, so current nominees are

1. Caboose
  2. Tail
  3. Kill it
  4. Double lung
    I’ll add
  5. Towball (not sure which country calls it that, it’s a trailer hitch anyway)
  6. Kick butt (I know it’s not always appropriate, and I wouldn’t say it, but it does provide a cool counter-phrase to kickoff)
  7. Tag
    Any others to add?
1 Like