Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

A name for the famous Bluesgrass 4 bar ending

@BanjoBen is right… however, I did consider that it may be called… It was more for arrangement references.

Take it home…

Interesting.

1. Caboose
  2. Shave or Bits (4-bits for 4 bars?).
  3. Home (Take it…)
  4. Tail
  5. Tag-Out
  6. Hammer (think John Henry), Spike or Anvil
  7. [Write-in Option]

I like the RR connection and thought of Breakman but… Using the word “break” in anything would be confused with song breaks… So that is out.

I just thought of Hammer (as in Sledgehammer) or Spike (as in the final Spike on a RR line… like the “Golden Spike” - the ceremonial final tie on the line).

I think I like Caboose the best…

I nominate CABOOSE as it seems to be favored by most as compared to the other nominees overall.

Who will endorse that?

Remember, this is to become common terminology for us… So I’d like consensus…

In advance, Thanks to @BanjoBen for getting behind this and being willing to use whatever WE select.

2 Likes

Yeah, Caboose, this is taking waaaay to long to pick.:thinking:

Sadly, I agree…

It is just a matter of gettin’ people onboard.

I’ve been pushin’ and pullin’ this thing.

But yeah, let’s get this DUN… so we can move on… Please y’all.

Ooh, golden spike? Sounds cool… ok sorry. Caboose it is!

Sorry, I was unclear. It is common practice to add a III/VI or E7, A7 to start the last 4 bars of a jazz tune when you call “tag it”… For example E7/// A7/// Dm7/G7/ C6///

Oops, my bad. I didn’t catch that till now. Kicking your foot out to refer to the end of a tune would be clumsy and would leave our visually challenged folks unaware. :wink:

1 Like

People with big feet would have an unfair advantage

2 Likes

CLOSURE (at last…)

I nominate CABOOSE…

Honorable mention…

1. Shave (2 bits infers 2 bars)
  2. Home (take it…)
  3. Spike (Golden is the last spike driven on a RR line)

Thanks to EVERYONE who contributed.

@BanjoBen,

Seems we Forum members have settled onto using CABOOSE.

2 Likes

@Archie, @Dragonslayer, @5-StringPilgrim, @shedrick, @Fiddle_wood, @Jake, @Treblemaker, @MissMaggie, @Mike_R

Tell all your friends!!!

2 Likes

Yay, finally I can sleep at night! :joy::joy: I might occasionally also use spike cuz it sounds so cool, but for anything official, it’ll be the caboose!

1 Like

So is that pronounced CA-buce or kuh-BOOS?

4 Likes

Nah, you got to start a poll for pronunciation! :wink:

In hindsight, tomatoes (for potatoes start… check out liberty guitar lesson song) could have worked better. Or maybe not, I think there is multiple pronunciation there as well.

1 Like

Let’s vote, how do you pronounce it?

• CA-buce
  • kuh-BOOS

0 voters

1 Like

@jmonickaraj1,

You say, to-MAY-to, he says to-MAH-to

Now we have to sort that one out - NOT!

NOBODY really says to-MAH-to, do they?

1 Like

We will say it the way that YOU do, sir! :grin:

1 Like

I know, I KNOW… @Dragonslayer,

Spike was coming on strong there at the end of the dialog.

Then we could have said, “The SPIKE… They nailed it!” :smirk:

You see what I did, there? :thinking::unamused:

Pretty catchy, huh… I am just sayin’

1 Like

In America probably not. But all of the British English speakers do (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, south Africa, new Zealand, etc.)

1 Like

Does that even count, anyway? :thinking:

Why of course it does!

I, for one, like the Scottish accent, which is why it should be mandatory for @Archie to personally introduce his videos… either himself or with a presenter!

Man, I want to go back to Edinburgh…

So many years ago, there was the coolest outer apparel shop right along on of the main avenues that runs along the front at the foot of the castle (as I recall)… had the most awesome heavy jacket…

I regret not having bought it - to this very day.

@Archie, I am curious to know… are those references to family names, colors, and Crests genuine or more of a touristy thing?

At first, I doubted, but there seems to be so much written about them. Seems that McBurnie (or MacBurnie) is tied to the name Matheson - with Gaelic association to “Son of the Bear” - or “Son of the Heroes”.

The crest is an alarm with a sword rising from an antique crown… With the inscription, “Fac et Spera” which means… “Do and Hope”.

Very cool indeed.

My mother’s grandfather was McBurnie… and somewhere was shortened to Burnie… when they settled in Canada.

From birth, my son has the red hair!

kuh-bu-SAY

2 Likes