Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

A little advice and a large benefit

This is for the struggling players or new ones , maybe haven’t played very long . Have you ever met a chord that seemed impossible or a fingering on flat picking that seemed above you ability, I have done that and over came it and the way you do it is play it as written do not deviate , stay with it and keep trying and one day you will sit down and do it just like the tab or music is written , you will feel as though you have been possessed and you will play it just like it is to be played. Do not give up do it even when it sounds terrible, you will over come . stroke direction, I know Ben has said this many times but it is important to building speed. If you do not read music I would suggest you learn tab and I mean learn it not just the number and the string but how it is played spacing means a lot and again pick direction is very important for speed . The advice is for the beginning player be it mandolin or banjo or guitar . You also will run across a tune that will help you more than any other tune you have ever played . I have played for over thirty years and am still learning good things. Music touches the soul of man .(male chauvinist pig) and women also :mrgreen:

— Begin quote from "welder4"

You also will run across a tune that will help you more than any other tune you have ever played .

— End quote

This is true. Sometimes, forcing myself to learn something uncomfortable in a new song really expands my skill. Break out of the comfort zone and play it – like you said – as written, until you can do it! Good advice.