Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

A Funny Dilemma - Wife not quite a bluegrass fan

A brief background: Generally, I have a very eclectic taste in music (I mean, Classical, Jazz, Folk, Epic Power Metal, etc - basically everything except some pop).

However, for as long as I can remember, I have always always loved bluegrass pickin’ and tunes. I’ve played guitar since I was 18, but for some reason, only recently have I really (finally - maybe it’s cause there are so many resources on the internet for learning…) decided to commit and learn to flatpick the tunes I always loved.

To my wife though -who I must say is the most wonderful woman in the world- bluegrass is unfortunately mostly “hill billy” music. I tried to explain a little better about it’s roots and history. She seemed interested - but also somewhat, “huh…that’s nice dear.” :wink: I wouldn’t say she hates it (She listens to AKUS a bit), just Watson, Rice…etc… just not really for her.

So there inlies a serious impediment for practicing and playing. It’s a funny dilemma cause it’s not something that would really ever come between us - but too bad, cause I would’ve loved to play and sing along with her. We live in Oregon - so I wouldn’t say Bluegrass has as many fans as, for instance, Austin Texas - where we may move someday. Maybe if we ever did move there, she’d get more into it. :wink:

Anyone else run into this rather silly problem?

-Andrew

Far more common than you may think. Wives of most of the pickers I know tolerate bluegrass, use festivals for visiting, and listen to old rock music as their choice.

“There’s only two types of music …good and bad”- Duke Ellington
“the more you drink the better we sound” J.S. Bach

One of these cliche’s might help you, but generally my wife is not as into it as I am either, but Bluegrass can be an aquired taste to some. IF she is OK with AKUS, maybe the next step is Tim O’Brien? In the end she probably will do or does what my wife does, she goes and does other stuff while I practice. In your case you can toss in some of that “epic power metal” every now and then… but do for her. :laughing:

Mine never really liked bluegrass much either…and to tell you the truth I found it offensive myself. So instead of your “hard line” bluegrass tunes I really focused on “Newgrass, Spacegrass, and Hippiegrass”…about every 3rd or 4th song I’d work in a traditional bluegrass song such as Flat and Scruggs or something of that…you’d be really surprised how these mostly un-heard of GODD SONGS will train non-bluegrass eared folks into likeing bluegrass, then whip the old hard line bluegrass on them and it picks them up - as most are “up tempo and up beat”.

IF that doesn’t work then tell her to get out! :laughing:

I think BG is an acquired taste. I grew up in KY, so I was around it quite a bit. I didn’t really start liking it until I was about 20. I think AKUS is a good gateway drug to the harder stuff. My wife started out liking AKUS, and now she likes more traditional stuff. She even plays and sings a Hazel Dickens tune (West Virginia my Home), and Hazel’s voice is decidedly an acquired taste.

Thank you kindly gents for your advice.

I am working on several tunes - but I moved “Liberty” to the top of the list to be my first full song - in light of recent events, the ‘subject matter’ is dear to my hear, and because it will really help me focus on my picking hand technique. Not to mention - it’s simply one of the sweetest little melodies I’ve come across.

I am making good progress so far and having a great time as well. And no complaints from the wife. :slight_smile:
At some point I’ll record and dump a Youtube vid when I can play it reasonably.

Play on.
-Andrew

my wife mostly listens to "contemporary"stuff ,but she is starting to come around to a little bg.but still,she isn’t exactly thrilled when i practice the banjo.luckily,she works mostly evenings and i work days, so for the most part,problem solved except for those pesky vacations she thinks she needs :laughing: so maybe see if your wife might be interested in a night job?

“Hillbilly music!”
I love it!
I’m also lucky to have a wonderful wife, and even luckier because she is also a ‘hillbilly musician’.

I have a lot of friends that are surprised that I like bluegrass. It is an acquired taste, but once acquired, it will stay with you forever!

Jim

My girlfriend has always been very supportive, no matter what style of music I practice or play around her. Since moving in together in July, I see that she has now got herself a pair of noise canceling headphones! :laughing: Not sure she got tired of my endless practicing or if what I’m playing is just bad :confused:

I dunno Hugo, I think your music sounds pretty good. Anyone that covers “I was made for loving you” like that is alright by me.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I dunno Hugo, I think your music sounds pretty good. Anyone that covers “I was made for loving you” like that is alright by me.

— End quote

Thank you so much sir! :smiley:

Hugo,
I’ve been letting your soundcloud files run while I have been working… I’m digging it. Currently on Final Countdown… YeeHaw! :smiley:

Ah that’s great to hear! Yayeah!!! :smiley: It’s all about just having a good time with music. I’ve said before that if I had to take any of those tunes seriously, I would never have uploaded a single one. Glad you’re enjoying it. Don’t be shy with sharing it now :wink:

Let’s face it fellas - this forum is just a cybershed that us blokes retreat into when we aren’t understood in the house! The great thing is there are other blokes in the shed with the same issues so we don’t feel so alooooone … ah, I can feel a song coming on…

Never done this before so I took a leaf out of Mike’s book and listening to your soundcloud stuff now Hugo. Bloody fantastic arrangements and instrumentation! Obviously you on guitar, someone else on banjo?
How many choirboys and how much of the instrumentation is you?

Also did the vocalist choirboy on Kiss Me have the operation? :laughing:
Love the arrangement of Dance Me. Keep it up!

p.s. Where can I get a computer-generated crowd? Sure don’t have a real one at home :cry:

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

Never done this before so I took a leaf out of Mike’s book and listening to your soundcloud stuff now Hugo. Bloody fantastic arrangements and instrumentation! Obviously you on guitar, someone else on banjo?
How many choirboys and how much of the instrumentation is you?

Also did the vocalist choirboy on Kiss Me have the operation? :laughing:
Love the arrangement of Dance Me. Keep it up!

p.s. Where can I get a computer-generated crowd? Sure don’t have a real one at home :cry:

— End quote

Hey! Ah man, thank you so much for the kind words :smiley: Much appreciated. There aren’t many musicians in my part of South Africa that are into this kind of playing. I have been doing everything myself so far (vocals, guitar, banjo, percussion, harmonica, etc). I’ve been trying to get members for this project for more than a year now because I want to start doing this thing live.

Haha! I WOULD get the operation if it meant I could sing that beautiful! :mrgreen: She’s a friend of mine and is also an excellent saxophonist and pianist. She has more of a jazz background, but also loves singing on more folkish sounding stuff.

I’ll make sure to post the audio file of the crowd for all those who require a bit of support while practicing in their studies/lounges/etc :smiley:

hugo,man i just listened to some of your stuff.that was fantastic! look, i was a big kiss fan in the 70’s and that version of i was made for loving you was awsome! is there anyone else out there that would love to see gene simmons on a standup bass and ace freley on a banjo? :laughing:

Hey Mark - love your avatar. Was this a special for thanksgiving or are you implying that all banjo players are turkeys? :stuck_out_tongue:

no, not ALL banjo players are turkeys,but i know this one is! :smiley:

I’ve been into more folk music… John Denver… Simon and Garfunkel.
Played guitar for awhile. Fingerpicker…
Been in multiple church praise groups.
Love the sound of a flatpicked guitar but can’t hold onto the pick…
Recently bought a banjo and mandolin… so I can annoy my wife with several different instruments.
She likes guitar… not a fan of mandolin or banjo.

She fights fire with fire howerver... 

She plays tenor drum with a bagpipe band.

Lol

BTW…

I’m in Oregon as well…

My daughter grew up in a house with a variety of instruments, mostly guitars. She said the mandolin was her least favorite when she was a kid because the high pitch made her “nervous”. :unamused: Probably had more to do with her having to tolerate me learning to play it!