Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Zoom L12 vs Tascam model 12 vs Behringer xr 16

I want a new mixer and I’m curious if anyone has any experience with these. I’m leaning towards the L12 because of the fader modes and multiple monitor mixes. The model 12 being a DAW controller pulls me to that one though, and the wireless control of the XR16 for live sound is very practical. So I have no idea what I’m going to get.

4 Likes

I don’t have any experience with any but the Behringer that we have. Although the wireless function is a little quirky it’s great overall and a really nice feature. Are you wanting one for live shows?

3 Likes

The XR Behringer mixers are essentially rack mount versions of the X32 so they don’t have faders. That’s good and bad… The X Air wireless control is nice but the built in WiFi is very bad so plan on using another router. Even then the wireless stability is decent at best. I’ve heard using a dual band router improves it a lot but I haven’t tried yet. The app is also not updated frequently. It’s still a great budget WiFi mixer but it has its quirks for sure.

One thing that’s nice about them is since there’s no physical controls on the mixer, it eliminates the need for a snake since most just set the mixer on the stage or near the microphones and control it remotely.

And you can set up a lot of monitor mixes as well.

6 Likes

I have used the Allen & Heath QU-16 for a while now. All the controls are on-board but I hate to imagine having to use those. The iPad app has a bit of a learning curve but works great. It’s nice to be able to save different setups for different bands and situations. I use an Airport Express router and it has been very reliable.

2 Likes

Yeah the behringer with an external router is held in high esteem in the live sound world.

1 Like

I would love to get my hands on them.:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like