Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Zoom H2n vs. Shure SM57

I’m looking for a quality mic to record banjo and guitar primarily. What are your guys’ thoughts on the Shure SM57 vs. the Zoom H2n recorder? I would be doing any post in GarageBand. Thanks!

5 Likes

Those are both great mics and both sound good. If I were recording I would use the Sure mic as it is a narrower microphone and won’t pick up outside noise. We like to use the zoom mic for live calls. It sounds way better with Skype or zoom than a computer mic

5 Likes

I’ve used both. The Zoom is extremely versatile but not as direct of a recording range as the SM57. You’d need an interface (Like a Scarlett 2i2) to use an XLR mic with a computer. The zoom needs nothing but an SD card or a mini USB cable to record real time.

6 Likes

I normally use a SM57 for banjo, but I’ve been meaning to get a ribbon. I would the zoom will be much simpler to use and it’s also super versatile, all you need is in one small package plus you have different polar patterns.

4 Likes

Like @Luke_L said the Zoom mic is really easy if you just want to plug it into your laptop and go. I love mine and use it for everything.

5 Likes

I just ordered the Zoom H6 and can do some comparisons if you like once I get it set up.

5 Likes

I for one would appreciate a comparison video. @BanjoBen, have you ever considered creating videos that walk us beginners through what equipment/programs to use to record and mix music videos?

Also, does anybody know the difference sound-wise between the zoom h1n and the h2n?

3 Likes

If Ben doesn’t, I probably will in the future. It’s pretty simple but the information is largely scattered so I’ll probably record a quick guide on what you need to get started recording.

As far as the Zoom mics, here’s a sound comparison between them:

I currently record my instruments with an SE Electronics se8 mic (small diaphragm condenser) and am using my SM57 for vocals/podcasts; dynamic mics on acoustic instruments are usually better suited for live amplification.

5 Likes