Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Zoom H2n vs. Shure SM57

I’m looking for a quality mic to record banjo and guitar primarily. What are your guys’ thoughts on the Shure SM57 vs. the Zoom H2n recorder? I would be doing any post in GarageBand. Thanks!

5 Likes

Those are both great mics and both sound good. If I were recording I would use the Sure mic as it is a narrower microphone and won’t pick up outside noise. We like to use the zoom mic for live calls. It sounds way better with Skype or zoom than a computer mic

5 Likes

I’ve used both. The Zoom is extremely versatile but not as direct of a recording range as the SM57. You’d need an interface (Like a Scarlett 2i2) to use an XLR mic with a computer. The zoom needs nothing but an SD card or a mini USB cable to record real time.

6 Likes

I normally use a SM57 for banjo, but I’ve been meaning to get a ribbon. I would the zoom will be much simpler to use and it’s also super versatile, all you need is in one small package plus you have different polar patterns.

4 Likes

Like @Luke_L said the Zoom mic is really easy if you just want to plug it into your laptop and go. I love mine and use it for everything.

5 Likes

I just ordered the Zoom H6 and can do some comparisons if you like once I get it set up.

5 Likes

I for one would appreciate a comparison video. @BanjoBen, have you ever considered creating videos that walk us beginners through what equipment/programs to use to record and mix music videos?

Also, does anybody know the difference sound-wise between the zoom h1n and the h2n?

3 Likes

If Ben doesn’t, I probably will in the future. It’s pretty simple but the information is largely scattered so I’ll probably record a quick guide on what you need to get started recording.

As far as the Zoom mics, here’s a sound comparison between them:

I currently record my instruments with an SE Electronics se8 mic (small diaphragm condenser) and am using my SM57 for vocals/podcasts; dynamic mics on acoustic instruments are usually better suited for live amplification.

5 Likes

Disclaimer, I didn’t bother to watch the whole video. But that guy is pretty old to be presenting an evaluation of microphone performance by ear. People’s hearing degrades with time. It is likely a young person’s evaluation of the sound quality would be different. Depending upon the use of the microphone, it may not matter. That of course, is up to the user.

Sorry to let you know that we are all going deaf. “What did he say?” “HE SAID WE ARE ALL GOING DEAF!”

Here is a example of a practical use of the hearing loss phenomenon.

4 Likes