Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Zachary Russell from Clinton, Michigan!

What first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I was watching the Doucette family play at Solid Rock Baptist Church in
New Jersey. I thought it was really cool to play that fast, and figured I should try it.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I grew up playing instruments ever since I was able to hold a violin or sit at the piano, but I didn’t really get serious until 4-5 years ago with the guitar. I’ve been playing the mandolin and banjo for about 2 years, but more emphasis on the mandolin.

What’s your goal when playing?
My goal is to build up speed and get better/smoother at each instrument.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member and how did you find out about Banjo Ben?
I’ve been a Gold Pick member for about 2 1/2 months. I had asked Hudsen Doucette for good recommendations for a bluegrass teacher, he told me he had started out with Banjo Ben and that Banjo Ben was the best teacher He could find.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I just recently signed up and can’t really say that I have a Favorite lesson; but I can say that there is not a lesson I didn’t enjoy or wasn’t helpful. I feel like my pick accuracy has improved and also my motivation to keep going has increased (thanks to the Forum)!

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Right now, I love making a D chord making it a sus4 and doing a triplet pull-off to make a Dsus2.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
Other than playing guitar, mandolin, banjo, bass, and piano; I also play a little violin, cello, harmonica, and baritone.

What artist(s) most inspire you/Who are your favorite musical heroes?
The Doucettes, Banjo Ben, Andy Leftwich, and Steve Kaufman, both inspire me and are my musical heroes.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I would love to play in the Doucette’s band because they are good players, friendly, and Godly.

If money were no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I haven’t fully decided for the guitar, but it’s between a Thompson Guitar and a Eastman E8D Dreadnought for a guitar. An Eastman MD515 F-Style Mandolin, A Beard Jerry Douglas Blackbeard Dobro, and a Master Tone OB-2 Banjo.

What do you do for a living?
I am a music director at my church and a stocker/cashier/ janitor at a pet store in Michigan.

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
I work on our farm, do school, help around the house, ride horses, play baseball with our neighbors, or any other outdoor activity.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Play and Write music.

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
To go to the Middle East and walked were Jesus walked, and to see where the cross would be and the Empty Tomb.

What question would you want us to ask future Gold Pickers of the Week?
What is your favorite bluegrass song?

Thanks for letting us feature you @Zachary!

22 Likes

gif @Zachary for being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member.

5 Likes

Nice to see this forum feature coming back! :grin: Enjoyed learning about you, @Zachary!

4 Likes

Nice to meet you!

3 Likes

@Zachary Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoy reading about the folks on this forum.

3 Likes

Nice to meet you, Zachary. Enjoy the journey!

1 Like

@Zachary, congrats on being on the cutting edge of the newest generation of Featured Gold Pick Members, and thanks for sharing!

2 Likes