Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

WW2 Banjo

Whilst carrying out some research of my late Uncle Archie who was a POW in 1940. I stumbled on this interesting photo of a World War 2 banjo. The various inscriptions in the finger board and head appear to suggest this banjo was in lot’s of battle zones in Greece and Italy. It bears the name D Day Dodgers. The title of a WW2 song.

The emblem on the head of a circle with the top left quadrant cut away was that of the 4th Division part of the 8th Army North Africa - Desert Rats, Greece and Italy in WW2.

I served with this regiment from 1968 - 1971 in Herford Germany by then the regiment had been retitled 4th Division HQ and Signal Regiment.

Needless to say I sang this song many times during my nine years service with the Royal Corps of Signals albeit with different lyrics

WW2%20Banjo

5 Likes

Pete Seeger sings The D Day Dodgers

3 Likes

Is the melody taken from another popular old song? My dad played the melody A lot on accordion and organ as well as The Old Lamplighter. He never sang any words ever.

1 Like

Hi John

Yes the song was made famous by Marlene Dietrich, no surprise your father never sang the words they were originally in German.

1 Like