Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Writing songs

Haha! I figured you might say something. :slightly_smiling_face: Yeah it appears that writing songs is something hard to explain.

1 Like

Try to find a good melody then fit the melody to a chord progression

Regarding lyrics think of a concept and then jot down lots of words that surround that concept which will give you options to work with

2 Likes

I go about it when inspiration hits somehow. This can happen in many ways; the important thing is keeping open to when that inspiring thought hits and doing something with it.

I’ve saved a title or line of lyrics for years, going back and thinking on it many times without much in results, then bang! a chord progression, melody, more words magically appear in my brain and it’s off to the races while that lasts.

saved one line for about ten years until a chorus popped into my head along with a rough chord progression and a verse…maybe 5 years later I had the other two verses in an afternoon while trying to finish it for a band I was in at the time.

woke up from a vivid dream once and started writing as fast as possible at 3am. By time it was light I had a full song written, chords melody & all.

My friend once said something and I said: “that would make a great song title! I’m gonna write that down.” I did and it sat around for several years on a legal pad I keep for these type of ideas. One day I ran across it and it hit me to write a story song in a style that Charley Waller (one of my heroes) might sing . Most of the chords came from the progression of an old Don Stover tune called Black Diamond and a Mr. Bogangles/Stray dogs &Alley Cats type feel.

So. each song can have it’s own way of “appearing”. To me, the trick is to be prepared for when inspiration hits, and keep a list of ideas handy to reference so possibly good ideas don’t get forgotten and go to waste.

3 Likes