Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Why We Pick

Everybody plays music for different reasons, but sometimes there seems to be an unspoken common thread. I’m not 100% sure, but it might involve hippies cooking pinto beans.

8 Likes

I always loved music, playing trombone in Jr band at Salvation Army from age nine, then through school. Facial Paralysis stopped that so picked up the banjo which had been in a closet for years. Lots of practice and love playing but banjo doesn’t always fit in. So now I’m learning guitar. Play both at church for “special music”. Add playing the tuba in our church band to the mix, still Salvation Army, and that’s my life of music.

3 Likes

That’s my kind of evening, right there. Wish I was there with you. Was that Mr. Bojangles playing at the first of the video?

Are you guys gonna make it to one of the camps this year?

3 Likes

First, that ain’t me & me wife. It’s just a couple old hippies I found on the internet. You know how those rabbit holes go!
Second, that could be me & me wife, as we to love to cook over an open fire, love good music & she grew up on pinto beans.
Third, if I ever suggested a different way to season pinto beans, my funeral would be three days later.
Finally, there’s nothing better than sittin’ around pickin’ while someone else does all the work. I think that’s what they do at Banjo Ben’s camp, but we’re not going. That would involve getting out of my comfy chair.

3 Likes

I think them beans just turned to chile! but that’s good vittles rite there! and sum mighty fine pickin to watch the whole thing! and I have been called a hippie ( more than just a few times) by my kids and other’s and don’t mind it at all! (been called much much worse! :wink:) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You watched the whole thing!?!
I packed it in after about 7 minutes, because watching beans boil fills me with tension.

4 Likes

Kinda like watchin paint dry eh! I will be honest I was kinda browsing the rest of the thread and checked back at the end so I was listening the whole time and checked back after dark!:rofl: I live alone so even listening to someone else cook is kinda nice for a change!. I think Ive been in lock down long enough!:crazy_face:

3 Likes

“Someone else cook”

Oh how I long to have breakfast at a diner!
My wife is recovering from knee replacement surgery, so I’m cooking three squares a day and then some.
How I miss the music of a pretty voice saying “More coffee, sir?”

4 Likes

AMEN! to that. Nothin I enjoy more than my local greasy spoon for a order of hash and eggs!!! and that dinner coffee served with that pretty smile and a good morning how you doin today!!!:smiley: Ah the good ole days. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I scanned the video at one point they were playing “Classical Gas.” Seemed appropriate. A couple of years ago the local flea market here had a throwback to the '60s day. They have a stage and had bands that played music from Jimmy Hendrix, the Doors, etc. The wife and I dragged out some tie dye shirts and cut-off jeans. To our surprise nobody else geared up. Kind of like going to a Halloween party in costume and finding out no one else wore a costume. It was still fun to walk around saying, “far out, groovy, or cool,” and flash the peace sign at anyone that made eye contact.

6 Likes

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM………… are you sayin all those sayings aren’t in vouge anymore? No wonder people look at me funny! Huh!:sunglasses:

5 Likes

People looking at you funny? I thought they were just making a banjo face! :wink:

5 Likes

NA just my regular :sunglasses: face!

4 Likes