Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Why I love trees so much

Just planted a few young trees last month heck just think they could grow to these dizzy in 1000 years.

2 Likes

Planting trees is so easy and lots of fun.

Texas A&M

Why it’s so important for each of us to do our little bit to create new forests for the future

1 Like

Would be interesting to see Sequoia trees growing in bonny old Scotland. I think I heard that the “General Sherman” sequoia tree is over 3,000-years old. I was pretty young back then…

1 Like

Neil I do believe there are some on the west coast of Scotland on a private estate albeit not as big as those in California.

1 Like

Found them

https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/content/benmore/

2 Likes

Oh Wow. I have to let this digest a bit. I had no idea Sequoia trees could grow in Scotland. Better yet, they are growing not too far from the old Inveraray Castle in Argyll where Clan Campbell still lives. I must come over for a visit!

1 Like

The west coast of Scotland enjoys warmer weather conditions than the rest of Scotland due to the Gulf Stream.

1 Like

@Archie, those trees are amazing…Its hard to imagine something that big and that old. I wonder what they trees would say if they could talk, the wonders of past and future colliding together. I am pretty sure I would not want to be around #5 when that one goes down…or any of them for that matter. I know here in S. Texas there are some Oak trees that im pretty sure are 300-500 yrs old, although not THAT tall, but very big trunk diameters. There is one oak tree at the Alamo Long Barracks courtyard that has to be very old, im sure it would have a lot to tell about what happened there in 1836. Very cool video @Archie, I think we really need to do our part in conserving the earth and the trees for future generations to enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I think it’s important that we all take some measure of responsibility to replenish trees in some way or another. In our lives we all consume timber, whether it be to build our homes, our furniture, our musical instruments or each time we visit the toilet.

If our churches lead the way by organising tree planting Sunday school picnics our communities might manage to encourage our politicians to spend less time debating the topic and get out and plant a few trees perhaps then big business and industry will follow suit. One can only hope.

2 Likes

How about planting more ebony trees for banjo & guitar fretboards and curly maple for necks? Love the ebony fingerboard on my Flatiron, but expensive $$$$$

2 Likes

I am sure there must be a programme somewhere in the world to regenerate these beautiful trees. The reason the timber is so expensive is because it’s a hard wood and therefore slow to grow.

Video postscript

Imagine one of the last remaining places on Mauritius where majestic black ebony trees stand tall and paradise flycatchers and Mauritius Black Bulbul chase each other through the trees. Once home to the Dodo, Ebony Forest, remains a refuge for threatened native flora and fauna. Visitors will be treated to open-air safari jeep rides, breathtaking views from Sublime Point, mid-canopy walkways that leave you feeling as if you are floating amongst the trees. Then there’s the Ebony Experience, where you will witness 8 million years of history, from the volcanic eruptions that created the island and the unique animals and plants that once lived here, to the destruction brought about by man’s actions… Visit us and see our efforts to preserve and restore the forest and its inhabitants. We have planted over 140,000 native trees and weeded 14 hectares of forest over the last 10 years. With less than 2% of native forest remaining in Mauritius, come to Ebony Forest and join our Guardians of the Forest by planting a tree or sowing a seed. Remember, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. You can also purchase your endemic plants from our native plant nursery and do your bit for the island’s natural heritage.

Besides our ecotourism activities, we have an Ecology Centre designed to foster a sense of interest and responsibility in students from Primary through to College, for this formidable nature around us, in order to generate new Guardians of the Forest. If you are hungry, you can visit Le Takamaka restaurant and if you want to grab a souvenir, then our boutique has a selection of local artisanal products.

May the Ebony Forest be with you.

For more information about eco holidays in Mauritius follow the link below.

http://ebonyforest.com/index.php/en/home-1

1 Like

Cool name for a bluegrass band.

2 Likes