Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

White Case vs Black Case

I bought a white fiberglass Calton case almost 20 years ago and I wanted to share with everybody why white is so much better than black or any other dark colors.

In the direct sunlight, on a hot day, my black case was almost too hot to touch. The white case, which was right beside it, was still cool to the touch.

I think I remember the same type of experience inside of hot vehicles as well, but I do not remember if the black case was actually hot or not. (the hot car memory is not as clear) Of course, I do not recommend we leave anything in the hot sun or car ever, but just saying, most of us already know how dark things attract heat and light, so I hate to state the obvious, but for some reason I still see a lot of black cases out there.

6 Likes

I bought a black Calton case for my guitar just because I got a good deal but if I would’ve ordered one new it would’ve been white. White doesn’t show as many scratches and paint marks from baseboards as black or any painted color for that matter. And a few minutes with a Mr. Clean magic eraser on a white case and they look brand new.

5 Likes

I’d need to take out a second mortgage to buy a Calton Case. I would never leave my banjo/case out in direct sunlight. Great that you should raise this issue though good_post

2 Likes

My banjo came with a traditional black case. I have never given any thought to another color. Now that you mentioned it, I will obsess on it until I get a white case.

3 Likes

Cheaper option

5 Likes