Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

While Giving Thanks This Week

This week we Americans will spend some time reflecting on gratitude.
Thanksgiving is a uniquely American holiday, and it’s one that touches the hearts of people around the world, even if their nation does not have such a holiday.
So while we give thanks this week, I would like to ask we reflect on another virtue, which is so often neglected. I’m speaking of mercy.
We can be quick to judge others, quicker still to condemn them and resolute in our willingness to never accept them. Social media is rife with people who made a human mistake years, if not decades ago, and we crucify them today.
Social media seems to make its biggest impact by being anti-social.
My request is that you spend some time and reflect on mercy. We could all use some of it & we pray that God grants it to us.
This week, let’s think about the value of mercy and “forgive those who trespass against us.”
I believe it is worth the effort.

11 Likes

I don’t know how fruitful it would be if you were to cultivate this habit - mercy - in you or in others, to show and/or to receive mercy. Also the world is not going to be forgiving.

So what to do? Here is the way. To show mercy, seek and receive mercy from God! He is merciful, and his mercy endureth forever. Now both the objectives are fulfilled.

“When a man’s ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.” - Proverbs 16:7

2 Likes

Jesus taught us to ask the Father to “Forgive us our sins.” In other words, grant us mercy.
But we have a responsibility also. “As we forgive…”
It scares me to think what happens if I don’t live up to my end of the bargain.

1 Like

What happens?? Matthew 18:34. God’s forgiveness is not conditional, but our forgiveness is an obligation to escape the wrath of God’s judgment.

Now mods, have mercy on us! I’ll stop. :wink:

1 Like