Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Which Recording King Banjo?

I know my RK76 is really loud and strong. But…geez…A Gibson?..hmm…that would be a tough choice. @LG1 have you seen pics?..Is the Gibson in good shape and my other question is is it a matter of which one or $. IDK that much about Gibson resale, but i know i would like to have one. But an RK75 new that has never been played or owned by anyone is a good choice too. IMHO would see if YouTube has any vids on either one and listen to them.

I’ve seen a few pics but have asked to see more the condition described is ver good

Both the RB and RK are the same price :joy:

If they are the same price, then the Gibson would be my first choice as long as it was sound. The RK is a nice banjo but you’ll always be wondering what a Gibson would be like. Newish Gibsons like that are well made and ought to sound right.

1 Like

@Mark_Rocka thanks pal

You want to check the serial number of the Gibson as well as get a look inside the pot to verify the label. Again, if the Gibson is not broken, then you can’t compare the two really. Your’re talking about a US made Gibson (during the good years) and a very well made, but still Pacrim banjo. No comparison.

However, if anything is going to be counterfeited, it will be a Gibson so be careful and do your homework.

1 Like

Thanks for that

I would second that about the fakes floating around. Serial numbers need checking. Labels can be faked or it could be made up of different banjos. If it checks out and your sure its all good then go for it. Gibsons are usually a good investment :wink:

@LG1 Be sure to ask about a return warranty also. Depending on who you buy from it could be a short time or a couple of weeks. I would go with the Gibson also if they are the same price. READ THE FINE PRINT. Better to CYA then get burned. Ask a lot of questions also. Be sure you know what you are getting. Also, does it come with a case? What about shipping charges?

1 Like

$2000 is too much for the RK 75 Elite. Ben sells the 76 Elite for $1699 with a case. He’s out of the 75 right now, but they’re about the same price.

I think he meant the RB was from the year 2000, not $2000

Ah, you’re probably right.

Hi Guys

Some pics here of the RB-250

Any help with deciding and help with serial number and authenticity

Thanks

image Uploading: 3B577940-A397-4E24-846E-13A6A8087393.jpeg…

Hi Lee

The numbers appear to be 250 07 03 not sure if that is a Ser No.

The best person to ask is Gibson Banjo expert Jim Mills

https://prewargibsonbanjos.com/

Check out this link for Post War Gibson Banjo Serials

http://www.banjophiles.com/SerNumData/BowtieEraGibsons.htm

@Archie thanks pal

I don’t know much about modern Gibson banjos. I think your best bet would be to sign on the banjohangout at www.banjohangout.org and ask there.

They are an okay bunch and will answer you if you ask nicely. I would first try to get some better pictures. One of the whole banjo, front and back. A close up of the peghead. A close up of the Mastertone inlay block on the neck. A photo of inside the pot. A photo of the label on the rim, if there is one. A photo of the back of the neck showing laminations, if there are any.

At the hangout, they can tell you if that serial number is correct. It is in the correct place for a post 1987 Gibson but I don’t know if the font and format is correct (anyone can stamp numbers onto a piece of wood). This appears to be a 2007 serial number. I have found other examples from 2000 and 2003 on the internet and they do not have the same font and spacing as this one but maybe in 2007, things were different.

The flange, with the Gibson logo is a good sign but verify that serial number.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for that

@BanjoBen

I finally made the decision and have just got the RK-75 Elite so time for practice now… ive also decided to stay here as well

Thanks

3 Likes

I thought you had a years free membership to Artistworks or was it Peghead Nation @LG1

I think it was artistworks, but I was wondering why not do both?