Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Which Banjo Capo?

Okay, so we are buying a banjo capo for my sister for Christmas (don’t tell😊). Should we get her the Paige Capo for Banjo/Mandolin or the Shubb C5 Banjo/Mandolin Capo? What is the difference? Also she has a built in capo for the fifth string. Does she need something for that too? Needless to say, I know guitars… not banjos!

4 Likes

I’ve had the page capo since mid September and really like it. It’s nice being able to store it up buy the nut when your not using it. That way it’s always with your banjo and no fear of it falling off. The only thing is I’ve heard the tubing wears off quicker than a more expensive brand but it can be replaced when needed. Also depending on where her 5th string spikes are you might want to get her a strum hollow 5th string capo also.

3 Likes

Does the Paige capo work below the fifth fret? If not, is there one that does?

3 Likes

The neck gets too wide at the 5th fret for the Paige capo. I suppose it might be possible to use a Paige guitar capo, but I’d be worried about it not working properly on the 1st - 4th frets because of how narrow the neck is. That Shubb C5 will work at any fret.

Last year at camp I talked to Jake about those fully enclosed capos. He said the Paige is OK, but he’s had quality control problems with them. He talked me in to the Shubb here.

That may be a little too pricy if you’re looking in the $20 range.

5 Likes

No the page capo does not. I think @Mark_Rocka is replying now so he can probably tell you better and knows more than I

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you! We will probably go with the Shubb one and the small fifth string one. Happy Thanksgiving!:turkey:

5 Likes

FWIW- I have a Paige. I like it because it fits in my cane toad pick pouch, but it is a bit of a bother to put on & off.
When I get to where I need a capo frequently I think I’ll go with a Shubb C5.

2 Likes

I really liked my Paige; it worked perfectly on 1-4 and I just pulled a Shubb out of my flange for songs capoed at the 5th. I switched over to a wide Elliot a few months ago, though, so I don’t use the Shubb anymore. I believe Paige does make a banjo capo for use above the 5th; I’d definitely recommend that over a Shubb. Capos that don’t store behind the nut just don’t make any sense to me anymore.

5 Likes

I have a paige and I like it, but I’d go with the shubb if it’s gonna be her only capo. Also IMPORTANT if the banjo has a volute on the neck/headstock transition, the paige WILL NOT fit behind the nut, much to my chagrin and dismay after getting one :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I have a Deering Sierra, and the Paige I bought does not fit behind the nut well due to the bulge in the wood there. I had no idea there was a name for that!

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s called a volute, but I only found that out because of mandolin cafe lol

3 Likes