Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Which bag o' licks?

So, I’m trying to work out a good break for clinch mountain backstep, a step up from a basic melody, and I think maybe a bag o’ licks lesson is what I need. So here’s the question, which one would get me the most licks for an A minor tune like CMB? On mandolin, in case you missed the category this is in :joy: D minor licks would also work as long as I could move them up a string

1 Like

Good idea… Reminding about Mando-topic, @Dragonslayer. :+1:

1 Like

Well if it was in A minor then probably Bag of Licks in C . But that song is actually in A major and only 2 chords, A and E. So the A, E, and D BOL lessons are all going to include licks over the A and E chords. If you stick to closed positions then ALL the BOL lessons are helpful.

1 Like

I’ve got lots of bluesy ones in A!

2 Likes

In the bag o’ licks A lesson?

Hmm. I hadn’t played this one in a couple of years but mucking around with it today it sure does look like the melody revolves around Am pentatonic. The chords though are definitely A and E. This is why I try not to think too much. How about a minor pentatonic lesson? ::raises eyebrows::

1 Like

Well yeah, this is one of those tunes where the melody is in one key and the chords are in another. I already know the melody, I need some cool blues licks. I went and checked out the BOL lessons, I’m gonna learn both the A and E ones and at least I’ll get some cool licks. I’m also gonna put wayfaring stranger on the list

1 Like

Another good one is “Cold Frosty Morning “

1 Like