Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What's your default songs?

Hey, y’all, I’m wondering what are y’all’s go to songs on banjo? Like, if someone hands you a banio and says “play something”, what would you play? As the only in person banjo picker most of my friends/acquaintances will ever see, I feel responsible to show them the best I can, and demonstrate at least one “typical” (Scruggs style, warp speed) banjo song, and one that I can play flawlessly consistently. For me, that ends up being foggy mountain breakdown, fireball mail, and pike county breakdown. These are all fast tunes that I feel showcase the banjo nicely. So what are y’all’s thoughts and tunes?

Salt Creek. FMB. Clinch Mountain Backstep. And I suppose Flint Hill Special too (if I was to take the time to memorize it haha). Ohh and Rocky Top is nice and fast and recognizable.

1 Like

I can’t really say I have a default tune. Just whatever pops into my head.

For me, it depends if I’m totally warmed-up and limber. Normally I pick a slower 120-bpm song if I’m cold to pick cleanly. Salt Creek Banjo Ben version is an easy one with a Guitar assist if you have one with you. To my surprise, Banjo Ben’s “Eighth of January” is a real crowd pleaser, maybe because I sing the verses and then my daughter joins in singing the Chorus with me then we take turns playing the solos in-between. People just love that one. I recommend learning that one!

1 Like

All good choices y’all, I need to learn a better version of rocky top, and I’ll admit that my choices might have something to do with the fact that I’m a show off

Ditto. The one I learned is ok but I don’t think it lends itself to how fast it needs to be played (although I’m sure that’s me lol).

I tried to slow this down and tab it out, but I have a hard time tabbing out a banjo part like this from watching someone play. Maybe if someone else wants to get it a shot… ?

In addition to your selection, I might throw in Cripple Creek, Old Joe Clark, and John Henry.

1 Like

Cripple Creek for sure!!

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been going to Lonesome Road Blues, and Redwing is a fave, too.

2 Likes

I’m with ya on Fireball Mail and FMB. Sometimes I throw in Shuckin the Corn or Remington Ride.

2 Likes