Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What Y'All Think

Hey Pickers…

As some of you know i’m currently playing an RK-75 which i really like… that said i’ve not played many other banjos to judge by but im really tempted by this Deering Golden Era thats on Ebay in the UK so my question is this.

Is this banjo a real cut above the RK-75 and worth me getting or will i see little benefit

Thanks

2 Likes

Not sure I’d trust anything priced that lowly…Used are going for $2K plus here…should be higher even with the scarcity over there I’d think.

Worth looking into, but I’d be cautious, and make sure you know what you’re buying.

3 Likes

ok thanks for that will do

2 Likes

The Deering Golden Era is a top notch banjo. They are about $5K new. https://www.deeringbanjos.com/products/golden-era-5-string-banjo

2 Likes

Depends what your looking for in a Banjo. If these are normaly going for $2k used in the US I would check it out in person. Could be great or could have problems. Check fret wear, could need a refret, or worse could have a twisted neck. Or non standard parts that someone swapped out.The only way of knowing is to see it in person and try. Its always a risk if you buy without seeing. :+1:

1 Like

Cheers Jono… I did bid on it but didn’t get it anyway :joy:

2 Likes

I might be looking at a Robin Smith built banjo so any advice on this maker would be great as I know he does great necks but not sure about his whole banjos

1 Like

I know that feeling mate. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I think if it’s meant to be you get it. :+1:

1 Like

Has anyone state side got any info on a Robin Smith Custom with Sullivan tone ring. And Tony Pass block rim lost forest

Looking for a value and standard of banjo it’s in mint condition

That sounds like a pretty custom banjo. I don’t know, but I’d imagine there aren’t many around like that. You may just have to play it and see if it speaks to you. Then see if it speaks loud enough to command whatever the asking price is. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Mark I’m gonna have a play soon but just wandered if it’s a high spec Banjo

Thanks

Have you had a play of that banjo Lee? If so, what was it like? :+1:

1 Like

Hi Jono

Yes I did have a play on it on Tuesday at a jam I’ve found and it played nice but not a big difference from my RK-75 TBH I would only entertain another if it was a no brained against my RK and it wasn’t in my opinion that much in it

I did however have a go on a pre war Gibson with a frank neat neck and I fell in love with it but there’s no way he’s selling :joy:

1 Like

The Gibson sounds Awsome. Did you notice if the frets were a little more chunky on the Gibson? I heard that having slightly wider frets makes it easier to play and some people have a bit larger fret gauge installed.
I’ve got to refret my goldstar soon. It’s still playing OK at present so I’m putting it off. When I do refret I’m going to use a slightly larger gauge of stainless steel. I’ve already replaced my old beginner banjo with SS which helped me learn the process. :+1:
As for your RK. Yes I think that’s a great banjo and it will take a bit to beat it. :wink:

1 Like

TBH pal i didn’t notice a fret difference as i was just in Awe of the sound but i will get chance to have another go on Tuesday, so will try and examine that… it was a bit beat up and if it were mine id have to clean it up and take better care of it than its currently getting…

1 Like

Yeah same here. If I owned a Gibson that would be like the crown jewels and I would be keeping it clean and oiling that fretboard when needed :grin:

1 Like