Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What strings make your Twanger boom?

I figured out early on that my Twanger is VERY particular about the strings I use. I had always thought there was a trade off between tone and ease of play when it came to strings, but the heavier I go, the more choked out it sounds.

My Twanger came alive when I put a set of light gauge strings on it shortly after getting it. Unfortunately I don’t remember what those were.

What’s your Twanger string experience been? What strings do your Twanger seem to love?

5 Likes

My default is the PF135 and I think they sound most every banjo better, but maybe I’m just partial to that particular gauge sound. https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/ghs-pf135-jd-crowe-signature-stage-stainless-steel-light-gauge-5-string-banjo-strings

4 Likes

Thanks Ben! Yeah I bought several sets of those at camp last year on your recommendation. They sound GREAT on my other 2 banjos, but for some reason the 2 - 10 gauge strings (high D and G) don’t ring out very well on the Twanger. It’s like they’re choked out.

I have a set of Elixir nano web lights I’m going to try soon. I’ll report back here.

4 Likes

I’m not playing a Twanger, but I do change my own strings!
I just finished with a set of D’Adarrio Medium gauge. Did not like them when I first put them on, left them on for a month and never did like them. It was like playing on rope.
Went back to the DHS PF-185 Almost Medium. As Ben said in one of his sales e-mails, these are the strings “for people who can’t make up their mind.”
(There might be an outside chance I fall into that category, but I haven’t decided yet.)
I have a set of Huber Light that I will eventually try, but the DHS are becoming my go-to strings.

4 Likes

Look forward to your report. I have Elixir Nano on a Taylor 224 geetar and love em. I love all this banjo talk. Can’t get enough of it.

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

PF135 are my go to strings. I’ve tried about 5 or 6 different brands and gauges of strings.

1 Like

I don’t tinker or experiment much with set up. When you go to a medium from light could it be that the slots in nut/bridge are not shaped to accommodate, pinching too much, the mediums? Thusly maximum performance can’t be achieved, no fault of the string.

2 Likes

That’s entirely possible. I have a set of files. I’ll give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

That being said, it came with mediums on it from the factory. You’d think they’d be filed for that, but anything is possible.

1 Like