Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What size open back banjo should I buy -11”, 12” or 13”?

I am considering buying an open back banjo because it is well suited for some local jam sessions. Playing a banjo will be new to me. I have learned that there are 3 size pots- 11”, 12” and 13”. Is one size preferable over another or will I be ok with any of them?

1 Like

It depends on the sound you’re looking for. The 11” and 12” are considered standard. The 11” will generally be a little brighter sound wise, while the 12” will highlight low tones more. The 13” will have an even deeper sound. I recently visited Dave Dillard and he showed me a unique 13” he recently designed with a longer neck and guitar strings—it’still a five string banjo, but tuned a full octave lower. That was cool, but for a classic old time clawhammer sound, I’d recommend the 12” pot with a standard neck. But if you’d like to occasionally throw on some pics and play three finger style, the 11” would likely be more versatile.

With all that said, bridges, tone rings, head material (e.g. natural hide heads), and head tension can make a big difference. I have a 12” Ome with a rolled brass ring that sounds brighter than a 10” Music City Bell I got from Dave Dillard. But that’s because I put a heavy bridge on the 10” and it has a wooden tone ring. I’m in the process of putting a natural hide on the Ome to see if that softens the sound some (and it looks cool :blush:).

Good luck with your search.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information. I met Chuck Ogsbury today, the founder and former owner of OME. He said much of the same things you said.

1 Like

I worked with Chuck’s daughter, Tanya, when I ordered my custom Ome. They are very nice folks. I hope they are well, and that the sale of Ome was beneficial to them personally. By the way, both my 12” Ome and the short scale 10” Music City Belle are made from cherrywood. So that’s yet another consideration—cherry tends to have a sweeter, slightly mellow sound. Take care.

1 Like