Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What Happened to Online Business Transactions

I just watched the latest video on the General Store YouTube channel titled, “What Happened to Online Business Transactions” and it saddens me to hear what the store has to put up with sometimes. EVERY interaction I’ve had with the store has been beyond reproach.

I wish everybody could experience and learn from a service-oriented job like waiting tables. It would bring more awareness to common courtesy. Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks that feel they can act a certain way online or over the phone in a way they probably wouldn’t if in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPJe5KZLaI&t=483s

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this @TPresley. Yes, I think it would do us all some good to have to work service-oriented jobs!

1 Like

Hi @TPresley Ty, I couldn’t agree more. All my exchanges with the General Store have been very professional. Having worked in the business sector for many years, handling customer issues face to face daily can be quite a challenge at times. A business can only become a success with people with the right skills managing it. Sadly we are living in a world where common curtesy is a thing of the past and it’s not confined to online transactions. I was raised on the phrase “Manners maketh the Man”

1 Like

I dont think its limited to online or in person. I grew up in the 70s and 80s, the problem is people do not know how to interact with anyone. Everyones head is in their phone. I hate it. Yes I do it too but I can put it down and have an actual conversation . When texting first arrived I thought why would anyone type it instead of actually using the phone to call? Oh boy, have things changed.

2 Likes

I know things have been changing for quite a while, but I noticed a big change in people after the COVID pandemic. I spent almost 40 years in public service, and it seems like many people today have no respect for anyone else. They are entirely focused on themselves and don’t care about anyone else. They will let a door slam in your face, walk down the middle of the sidewalk and refuse to move over even a little for others who are walking. Push a shopping cart in front of you and blatantly block your path in a store or shop without a care. It’s a self centered world we live in.
Now I sound like a grumpy old man huh?
“You kids get off my lawn!”

3 Likes

I have the same sentiments. It is sad that some people take an issue out on the store folks. I was in grade school in the mid-60s, teenager in the 70s, and young adult in the 80s. There was a prevalent attitude of “positive personal regard” for others. There were some that did not have that, those that didn’t were more rare than it is today. It seems more folks take things more personally now. I also believe we are more isolated now than in the past, and I agree covid lockdowns took that to another level. Also, more folks seem to be more stressed more often now, and are not as careful about regulating their emotions. These are a few of my thoughts. I have not had any issues with my purchases at Ben’s store.

2 Likes

agreed

2 Likes

Yesterday I went for a walk in a local park. It was a beautiful day and everyone was very friendly. I talked with several strangers, petted their dogs, and one guy who was BBQing even offered me a burger. People seemed very pleasant and nice. I reflected back to my post above on this thread and thought maybe I was just being crabby. Then on the way home I stopped at Walmart.

6 Likes

I am guessing that was a bad decision crabbit

1 Like

Hahahah yep! The self check out🤣