Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What do you guys use to record yourselves?

Just keep in mind that if you’re even holding an instrument in front of others, you’ve gone farther than 99% of them. That goes double for banjo. People just enjoy live music. Even if someone in the audience happens to play better than you, chances are they’re still enjoying your playing.

When I started a band back in 2011, I was terrified to play in front of people, but I knew that’s exactly why I had to do it. It took less than a year for me to get over the stage fright… and I made some memories I’ll never forget.

For me, stepping out of my comfort zone has almost always yielded fantastic results.

1 Like

Yeah, I get it. I think this is the only place I would consider posting something considering, as you put it so well, our Banjo Ben brethren. I’m only able to play (jam) with my uncle because he struggles about as much as I do; he’s 81 and trying to get his hands to do what they used to.

Who knows? I may be really awesome and just not know it :grinning:

3 Likes

You are!

2 Likes

I usually just use my iPhone X with a holder like this: https://www.amazon.com/QuickWin-Adjustable-Tablet-Phone-Stand/dp/B07876N7DC

2 Likes

Coolio

1 Like

Similar to Ben, I use this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JYV46HS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01JYV46HS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=T2DBV31MJ6AXFB57C0ND&pd_rd_wg=tLsTi&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=4bbST&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=6cdaa389-c74c-11e8-954f-1d474762b736

I like it because it literally sits anywhere, or the legs allow you to wrap it around a pole, tree, or attach to the side of a boat. The applications are almost limitless.

1 Like

Aw mate, that’s perfect. Just ordered it. Thanks

Anyone ever use a looper? I’m wanting something where I could play a few chords on my mandolin and record it then play it back quickly so I can practice scales, licks, and improvising. Any ideas. I know nothing about loopers or how they work.

1 Like

Hi Kristopher

Don’t know anything about loopers but from what your describing TablEdit would do that job and more.

Check out this link

1 Like

I have a DigiTech Trio+ that has a built in looper. I don’t use it often, but it works pretty well when I do.

I actually bought it for its “band in a box” features, but you can use just the looper part, too.

1 Like

If you have a microphone and recording software (or a recorder), it does well for that.

1 Like

Here’s Jimmy Fallon and Billy Joel demonstrating a Looper.

5 Likes

Yes! Haha love it.

Now that you ordered, you will HAVE to use it, yes… to justify the cost.

SHOUT TO ALL FORUM Members: That means we all can expect a Swap Vid from @Maggie in the near future!

3 Likes

You’re killin me man…

3 Likes

If you want to see a hilarious use of a looper, type into Google search, Tim Hawkins guitar meltdown. It’s absolutely hilarious

1 Like

Is that just for quick videos or do you use for new content as well? I have been using the built in mic on my macbook, but thinking about getting an external USB mic for forum uploads.

Just for quick vids, yeah.

1 Like

@Mark_Rocka, how do you get input to the looper? Do you use a pickup on the banjo? I was wondering if I could somehow emulate that functionality with audacity. I found an option for sound activated recording. If I can combine that with the loop feature, I would have what I am wanting.

1 Like

I’ve never actually looped my banjo, but I do have a pickup on it if I ever wanted to. I usually use the looper to loop guitar and bass and then play along with that. The cool thing about the Trio+ is that you record your rhythm guitar, it analyzes the input and then adds bass and drums automatically.

2 Likes