Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What do y'all think about these banjos?

So, I’m gonna be looking to upgrade from my Morgan Monroe in a couple of months when I move back to the States (Lord willing) and I’m wanting to buy a banjo new from a smaller builder to help support the craft of lutherie as well as the economy. I’m hoping to buy one in the sub $2000 price bracket, and I’ve found this builder in that general range. He has only built a few banjos yet, and doesn’t have many pictures, but I think the ones he has done look pretty cool. I’ll link the website and his Facebook which is where the pictures are.

What do y’all think??

8 Likes

I think that they are purty sweet, but sour at the same time!! :rofl::banjo: (because of the lemon :rofl:)

7 Likes

Never heardof them before, hoping to see some pics and hear what they sound like soon.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten ballpark prices for them, he said that most of the models would be between $1600 - 1800. So I’m definitely strongly considering it.

If you go check that Facebook link there’s a few pictures and a video.

3 Likes

@Dragonslayer the question should not be what do we think of these banjos but what do you think of those banjos they looked pretty nice to me but ultimately you are the one that is going to be playing which ever one you purchase

They all look nice to me LOL

4 Likes

Hi Gunnar, I have never heard of this banjo maker or the Lemon Banjo. But as I am sure you know there are a ton of banjo builders across the US who make fine banjos.

I am pretty sure Craig (frailin) Evans from over on the Banjo Hangout did a series of documentary films about banjo builders some years back. I think the videos may still be accessible for a small fee on the Hangout.

2 Likes

I know. But I like to get the opinions of other people so I can make a more informed decision. Also someone might say something like “oh yeah, that guy is a scam, don’t give him anything you want to see ever again” and maybe save me from making a bad choice. At the moment the biggest decision will be whether buying a banjo is a financially responsible idea.

I came across him on BHO, and I like the look of his work. The trouble is finding a maker within my price range, and he’s one of two (Helix from BHO is the other, with LeVan being a budgetary stretch, as well as Companion) that I can probably afford.

2 Likes

Hi Gunnar, Sure I understand. Two names you may care to look up Arthur Hatfield & Frank Neat you may find they may be able to help you with a banjo that meets your budget. Some banjo makers are known to sponsor up and coming musicians.

5 Likes

I do completely understand I do the same thing as you I like to get others opinions also but ultimately i always know in the back of my mind the decision is always up to me and only you can be the one to decide whether financially its a practical thing to do I was in the same boat recently as you know, and seeked opinions just like you I appreciate any and all opinions that i may get some were useful some not so useful I did take all to heart though, not knowing you personally other than by your post and contributions to the forum I believe you are a vary deserving kid and seem to be headed down a good path you cannot say that about vary many kids in your age group these days so keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Hi Gunnar, So i did a little more digging and found this blog post.

https://www.banjohangout.org/blog/24606

2 Likes

Hi Gunnar this was just posted yesterday over on the Hangout

https://www.banjohangout.org/topic/369811

2 Likes

That seems to be a documentary about open back banjos (which are really cool) but I’m looking for a bluegrass banjo, not an old time one (yet)

I will look into that, thanks.

Thanks.
I’ll make sure to post and let y’all know what/when I decide on anything

4 Likes

Hi Gunnar, sorry I thought the Luthiers he was interviewing built both open back and resonator banjos.

2 Likes

I may be being selfish here, but I want the most for my money no matter what. Unless I found a banjo way better than the Twanger in that price range, I’d be eyeing a Twanger.

It’s noble of you to want to support an American luthier, but I’d hate to know you spent that kind of money on something only to be ho-hum about it a couple of years down the road.

5 Likes

I’ve considered a twanger, but from talking to Ben about them at camp, I’d want one of the first 36, and they don’t come up used much.
Also, when you buy from an individual builder you can customize it some, which I might want to do.
And in 100 years it ain’t really gonna matter much…

3 Likes

#23 is for sale at the BHO. (I think the pictures are missing at the classifieds due to a glitch or something.)

https://www.banjohangout.org/classified/84037

3 Likes

Well dang! That’s a great price!

4 Likes

Always very intrigued by the Banjo conversations and genuinely interested in being educated. Isn’t the sound and presentation in the delivery and more in the sincerity of the performance?

3 Likes

Photos are back on the banjo listing page.

3 Likes

Absolutely! Great players make great banjos sound the way they should sound… however, the banjo of course makes a difference if it’s the variable in play.

5 Likes