Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What are y'all up to?

Thanks, @Simone, we had a great Easter. Ellen came down with COVID two weeks ago, and we finally both tested negative on Saturday. We had already canceled a gathering at our home, so decided to play Easter Bunny and deliver egg hunts to our daughters’ homes. We hope you and your crew had a blessed day as well. Take care.

3 Likes

That was real nice.

1 Like

Nothing but the Blood. Great job Jeff!

1 Like

Very nice Jeff! I need to learn some of that clawhammer stuff. It sounds really soothing.

2 Likes

Nice job Jeff, and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks all (@Treblemaker, @xmark, @JohnnyD, and @Mike_R). And Mike, Dave Dillard does a great job teaching Clawhammer at some camps and in some online offerings here on Ben’s site (at additional cost, but well worth it). And yes, it’s soothing and very addictive.

1 Like

Catching a concert tonight but not exactly bluegrass. Alison Kraus and Robert Plant. I’m most excited about Stuart Duncan should be the “acoustic utility” member of the band.

9 Likes

Fantastic show…saw them at Chastain Park in Atlanta last fall.

2 Likes

It was definitely a great show. I’m not an old Led Zeppelin fan but Robert Plant and Alison Krauss’s voices blended so well. I spent most of my time watching Stuart Duncan change from Acoustic Guitar->Electric Guitar->Banjo->Mandolin->Fiddle (plus one extended fiddle solo). It’s funny Stuart Duncan is one of the musicians I’ve wanted to see for a long time and the first time I heard him play fiddle the song was Led Zeppelin “It’s Been a Long Time since Rock-n-Roll”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Jimmy Page did use a bow quite a bit, so I can sort of see that.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve never seen anyone get more sounds out of a guitar than Phil Keaggy.

2 Likes

You’ve obviously not watched any of my vids. I got him beat…but all my sounds will hurt your ears.

9 Likes

I’ve been doing no picking. But the family is heading in a new direction.

Like Ben, I’ve been dancing around developers and folks wanting my slice of heaven in a sea of 1 million people…they ain’t making any more of it.

I’ve also been dancing around inspections, showings, keeping the place clean and looking good…eggshells and pins and needles.

We’re “under contract” on the home on 12 acres and the 42 acres next door on its own deed. We’re heading up into the mountains, playing golf, and chasing kids the rest of our lives.

Once I “get there” (new home in 2 months) I’m going to set up a music room. I plan on starting up a little band/getting out and picking. Jumping into golf, music, and day trading. SOld all my tractors and gear to run this place, guy is picking up my sawmill tomorrow (made money there).

We’ve raised 3 kids; last one is heading off to West Point. First one is landing a good job in healthcare as a Data Analyst. Middle child just got hired on to a hospital…me and momma about to “take flight”.

We’ve been bouncing numbers back and forth between the land and the home, that’s why the $100K increase. It’s “pending”, we are just trying to get “the math” on the purchase where it needs to be.

Been a long road. Raised kids for the past 23 yrs. Time to chase them and see the world. My wife and I both work “remote”…as long as we have high speed internet we are “good to go”…so many possibilities.

Pic of my picking spot in the pics of home. Looks like it’s “sold”. That’s what I’ve “been up to”.

2325 Newman Rd, Rockvale, TN 37153 | Zillow

5 Likes

Good luck with this new stage in life @Oldhat2

4 Likes

Good morning. This is my first post on this forum and I’m not sure if I’m even doing it right. Oh well I’ll give it a go. Just got out of bed. It’s 6:45am and I’m looking at my banjo thinking that I’ll get in trouble if I start playing it this early. Maybe I’ll just drink my coffee and let the wife sleep for a bit longer.

10 Likes

Welcome!

I get in trouble if I play my banjo, no matter what time it is.

3 Likes

@bebobabooie
Welcome to the forum. I’ve been up since 6:00. I too have eyed the banjo but Mama don’t allow no banjo playing round here in the mornings. During normal picking hours, as a peace offering, consider using a banjo mute. It’s the only banjo thing my wife approves of. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Robert. A banjo makes a wonderful alarm clock for those around you…:laughing:

3 Likes

@bebobabooie I think a banjo sounds like a good way to start the day. Of course, if your wife disagrees then I am wrong :slight_smile: Welcome to the forums!

2 Likes