Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What are y'all up to?

Oh, but I did upstage him in one area: I can, as of today, ride a one-handed wheelie. So there! :smirk::joy:

3 Likes

That’s resume material right there. :laughing:

2 Likes

Ever heard of Greek Peak or Elk Mountain? I used to ski Elk Mountain when I was in High School.

1 Like

I don’t think I know, :frowning: I only skied a couple of times. And once before in Southington, CT, if I remember the name correctly.

1 Like

Took my first day off in three weeks…21st anniversary of my father & brother’s passing via auto accident.

Been storming here off & on since midnight…still have power though

6 Likes

So sorry to hear that Dave. I know and feel your pain. I lost my daughter 10 years ago last month unexpectedly. :cry:

The grief never ends, but it softens little by little each year. Feel better soon.

3 Likes

Folks, that’s sad. I too can understand your pain. I felt likewise when circumstance force separated me from my little daughter and son years ago. I have hope in my case. Through this, I could understand scriptures and relate to things like what Romans 8:24.25 says “24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it…” God began to teach or reveal every single scripture I study either through my life or through the situations I face and see. With God’s wisdom and help and guidance, I’m being more watchful now. I get peace, whatever be the situation when I acknowledge him, that some with everything in life would struggle to have. So there is hope in him, and in him is peace that passes all understanding, right now!!

3 Likes

Small tornado hit the golf course yesterday where I work. Guess I have the weekend off until insurance adjuster gets a look at things…lots of trees & limbs down, power (480 and 110) out, some small roof damage on the clubhouse…actually pretty lucky damage-wise.

Boss is supposed to go in for surgery and now his wife (owner) broke her arm this weekend also.

It’s been a rally bad year for them so far, and they’ve been talking about selling for a few years now…hope they don’t just throw in the towel…

1 Like

That’s good John, and ty for the encouragement. Having hope is where it’s all at.
Here’s one of my favorites for circumstances such as this.

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
1 Peter 5: 10

Even if the “little while” is til the end of your days, it’s all good. Because there’s hope.

2 Likes

Thanks Jack for the verse from Peter! Yes restoration is a promise!

And fiddle_wood too…

I think Romans 8:4 reflects that too…That the righteousness of the law (blessing part of Deuteronomy 28) might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. And so, in Christ and after the Spirit (not being carnal but being word minded) means God of hosts is engaged in the restoration of things.

1 Like

Well, I arranged drunken sailor (the sea shanty) for four mandolins (or a fiddle, a mandolin, a concertina and a bouzouki, but I only have two of those) so next time I get my recording stuff out, I’ll record that.

3 Likes

What type of recording stuff? Just a video cam. or some serious gear?

1 Like

I have a (now slightly obsolete) macbook air with garageband, a presonus audiobox USB interface, and a cheap microphone from a fender passport sound system. That’s what I use to record multiple instruments, I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 (which I was given recently by someone who was upgrading) for any video I take.

1 Like

So, I watched YouTube today, (I watch YouTube three days a week) and I always am inspired to play after watching (I always watch music stuff) so I just finished and got out my banjo, which was tuned in double C for clawhammer, and I just wrote a new tune. It’s really pretty and fun, like a lot of clawhammer is, I’ll post a video after I name it, (it might be late August though, cuz of internet reasons)

1 Like

maybe “CC Rider?”
I think that may already have been taken.

1 Like

Is that an 80s rock song? If not it missed a good chance

1 Like

It’s a little earlier than that. Goes all the way back to the 1920’s or 30’s. The versions I heard were recorded in the 1950s-1970’s. My introduction was by Elvis on “Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite.” BTW, It is a also written as “See See Rider.”

1 Like

Oh, ok. I think I’m actually gonna name the tune the Flower of Corenwald

2 Likes

Worked at the golf course four hours this am…then built some new stairs for the house this afternoon.

6 Likes

Well, the internet was out all day until after dinner, so instead of watching YouTube, I got out my recording studio. I recorded three fiddles playing Ashokan farewell, with an existing backing track, and I also recorded two variations of drunken sailor. I recorded one as a mandolin quartet, (melody, two harmonies, and one playing rhythm) and the other with a mandolin, a fiddle, an Irish whistle, a bamboo piccolo, and a guitar. It’s fun and jaunty

2 Likes