Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Wendy Davis from Decatur, TX!

Tell us about you and your family!
I’m Wendy Davis and I live in Decatur, TX. I’m married and have a wonderful husband of 26 years, a barn full of critters and I’m Aunt B to some wonderful nieces and nephews.

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
A combination of two things sparked my interest in learning to play bluegrass. I first became interested in playing guitar when I discovered a girl named Heather Berry Mabe and her husband Tony a banjo player on you tube. I was drawn to Heather’s beautiful voice and her simple carter scratch style playing. Shortly after discovering Heather I attended my first bluegrass festival. It was Bloomin’ Bluegrass in McKinney, TX where I first saw folks of all ages all over the park jamming in small circles. I could see that this music was no respecter of persons and it was for all ages. From that moment I knew I wanted to be a part of this thing called bluegrass. I took some guitar lessons and then I signed up for a beginner jam class with Jim Penson in Arlington TX where I learned a lot about etiquette and basics of jamming with others.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I’m a late bloomer maybe 6-7 years. My motivation for playing is just to have fun and pick with friends around a campfire.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I think all of his lessons are great. Before becoming a member and attending my first Banjo Ben camp I couldn’t play a lick…literally! I could pick/strum and that’s about it. Ive seen a lot of improvement and confidence in my playing since becoming a member. I pay attention to the licks and runs he uses in a piece of tab and then I try to apply it to other songs that I’m playing without using any tab. If I had to pick one favorite lesson though I would say it’s Cripple Creek for beginner banjo. I recently picked up the banjo. His tab and video made it super simple and fun to learn. I felt like a rock star for a hot minute. Doesn’t every beginner feel like a rock star when they first learn cripple creek? :joy_cat:

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I love all genres of music. I played piano when I was a kid and played on the worship team at church. I mostly focus on guitar but I’m learning some basics on mandolin and banjo.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
The metronome is my friend.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Nope…just happy pickin’ with friends.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
Blue chip picks are nice.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
A Collings guitar would be great.

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
Caring for animals, kayaking, camping, fishing, team roping, reading and quilting.

Anything else you’d like to add?
I like cats! :heart_eyes_cat:

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
His sisters of course! I watched a very touching program on 8 Country Reporter about The Purple Hulls at their farm in East Texas and that’s where I first heard about Ben.

Thanks for letting us feature you, Wendy!!

15 Likes

gif Wendy on being selected as this weeks Gold pick Member. I too am a big fan of Heather Berry Mabe & husband Tony. I’ve spent many listening hours listening to her singing. Although it has been a quite a while since I lasted looked in. Been so busy. So thanks for reminding me to check her out.

2 Likes

Hi Wendy! Thanks for letting us get to know you!

2 Likes

Wendy! So happy to see you featured this week! You are one of my favorite pickin’ partners and sweet friend, Can’t wait till we head to Kilgore for the Texas Cabin Camp!!!

2 Likes

Congrats on being the gpotw! Thanks for sharing your answers and letting us get to know you a little bit :grinning:.

2 Likes

Yay! Wendy! Love your interview! So thankful for pickin’ /travel buddies!! :heart: Love this pic too!! Cant wait for camp!

1 Like

Very Nice Article. Wendy,I would encourage you to create a profile on Bandmix and join or start a Bluegrass band. I did this after retiring and it has been a load of fun. The Music industry may not value Bluegrass, but people do. Everywhere we play people come up and tell us how much they enjoyed us. We are not very slick and the band is more of a glorified jam than a slick band like the Purple Hulls or Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver. While all that is true, we recently played in front of Dallas Hall at SMU and those college kids danced and really enjoyed our music. Our band is called Ioni Creek which I named after one of the little intermittent streams that run into the Brazos down below Possum Kingdom lake. I just figured no one would have that name. Good luck with your Banjo pickin’.

2 Likes