Good Monday Mornin’ BanjoBen Forumites (Forumanders?, Forumumese?),
Over the last several days, I have started to wade into the waters of Clawhammerin’
I’ve devoted just about 10-15 minutes a day for about 4 days now… to practice the 3-step pattern from @Jake 's primer… Strike, brush, pluck.
I plan to continue…
Some early observations:
- It isn’t the least but musical - yet but I am taking it SLOW… very deliberate
- I personally tend to pluck the 5th string too soon or too fast… not exactly landing on the “& of 2” or upbeat of 1 (strike).…. 2 (brush)… & (pluck). I think it will even out… but must be diligent and patient.
- I am trending to use my index finger as I feel I have a bit more control while also tending to get a nicer and more consistent pop-strike tone than I do when I try to use my middle finger. Also, letting my fingernail grow would bother me… So my hand position just seems to allow my index to land more naturally as a result.
- Using a pick: Nope, I’ve not tried flipping the pick around as I have seen suggested for those like me who don’t want to let the nail grow. I just want to get the motion down and feeling natural first!
- How much time for practice of basics in 3 chords (G,C,D7) before attempting my first song? A week? Two weeks?
- Easy beginner tunes: Any tabs, tunes or sites to recommend?
Also, I would like to hear from any of y’all who’ve started or have interest in this path…
You can reach me separately at: firstname.lastname@example.org